Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Rates, bidding, etc.
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 00:32
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We'll just wait for January 1 and see what happens Nov 24, 2001

Today, most of us received the latest ProZ newsletter. Read it (don\'t just delete it): it contains some very good points.

I suggest we all hold off on judgment until after January 1: then, we\'ll have a better idea of the new system (eg, $1 or 100 BrowniZ per bid).

This year is almost done: so let\'s see what kind of rates the new year has in store for us. There is no use debating the issue any further (f
... See more
Today, most of us received the latest ProZ newsletter. Read it (don\'t just delete it): it contains some very good points.

I suggest we all hold off on judgment until after January 1: then, we\'ll have a better idea of the new system (eg, $1 or 100 BrowniZ per bid).

This year is almost done: so let\'s see what kind of rates the new year has in store for us. There is no use debating the issue any further (for now); everything has been said, I think.
Collapse

Local time: 00:32
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitions, labels, etc. Nov 25, 2001

My apologies, Tatjana: I was not aware that you might perceive yourself to be the target of my conclusions and statements.

Therefore, let me define a few things.

\"Cheapos\" or \"ambulance chasers\" are: translators from both rich and poor countries that, for several reasons, feel that they don\'t stand a chance unless they undercut everybody else. This group includes people who have no qualifications or training as translators (so the fact that they are
... See more
My apologies, Tatjana: I was not aware that you might perceive yourself to be the target of my conclusions and statements.

Therefore, let me define a few things.

\"Cheapos\" or \"ambulance chasers\" are: translators from both rich and poor countries that, for several reasons, feel that they don\'t stand a chance unless they undercut everybody else. This group includes people who have no qualifications or training as translators (so the fact that they are not real professionals is one of the reasons for them to engage in price-dumping) and translators from \"cheap countries\".

That last group needs to be defined further: if you live and work in a \"cheap\" country, it is perfectly alright to charge 4 cents DOMESTICALLY! (If that\'s the going rate in your country, you\'ll just have to go with it)

But when you bid on jobs posted by US agencies, for example, you should and ought to offer US rates. Especially when the outsourcer offers 10 cents, for example, don\'t go and enter \"2 cents will be OK too\". People who do this kind of thing are cheapos and ambulance chasers of the worst kind, and no one will disagree when I say that these people will never produce top quality.

Just like Tatjana, you need to be confident and you must believe in your skills: Tatjana is a shining example (and given her location, it is anything but easy for her to hang on to her convictions) of a professional who believes in herself.

By the same token, Nikki from Spain was not a target either: Nikki writes that she only works for Spanish agencies, so she has clearly limited herself to her local market and must charge the usual rates.

The only ones that should feel insulted by this and other opinions are the real cheapos and ambulance chasers out there, and no one else.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates, bidding, etc.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »