Thread poster: Claudia Krysztofiak
Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
Russian to English
+ ...
and this matters why? Sep 14, 2006

I am not entirely sure what all the fuss is about. Is someone holding a gun to our collective head to accept or even acknowledge this offer? Sure, we all like to let off a little steam in a righteous fury once in a while and some of us prefer to lecture the rest on how much to charge for getting out of bed but is this thread really worth getting out of bed for?

Personally, I have learned to ignore job postings that do not interest me (99% of them) much as I skim-read the nauseatingl
... See more
I am not entirely sure what all the fuss is about. Is someone holding a gun to our collective head to accept or even acknowledge this offer? Sure, we all like to let off a little steam in a righteous fury once in a while and some of us prefer to lecture the rest on how much to charge for getting out of bed but is this thread really worth getting out of bed for?

Personally, I have learned to ignore job postings that do not interest me (99% of them) much as I skim-read the nauseatingly-predictable bragging of the usual suspects.

Where's Jackie Bowman to spice things up a bit?

Bowman for President!

[Edited at 2006-09-14 11:40]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Sep 14, 2006

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

but is this thread really worth getting out of bed for?

Yes, it is. Many of us find this exchange VERY important.
In the same way as offers can be 'simply ignored', these threads can be 'simply ignored' also by those who are not interested. I repeat: I have written about this for years and I will continue doing so because I think it is worth. Because I know it is worth.

aurora

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
My 2 cents about surcharging on weekends Sep 14, 2006

Although I don't do it because I plan my work in a way that I can have free weekends (it's not always possible, though) I'd like to say just one thing about this:

Here in Portugal, when you are a worker of a private company or even a state employee, employers pay double when you work on weekends.

As an independent worker I also feel confortable to ask for a double rate. It's provided by the law so I'm not doing anything dishonest by applying this rate.

I am
... See more
Although I don't do it because I plan my work in a way that I can have free weekends (it's not always possible, though) I'd like to say just one thing about this:

Here in Portugal, when you are a worker of a private company or even a state employee, employers pay double when you work on weekends.

As an independent worker I also feel confortable to ask for a double rate. It's provided by the law so I'm not doing anything dishonest by applying this rate.

I am not expecting a client of mine not to understand this surcharge because s/he would also earn more by working on weekends.

Isn't it the same in most countries?

Whether one applies a surcharge it's his/her own business, but my opinion is that we all should do it. Unfortunately, the translation market is very competitive and we will never have a standardized "rule" for everybody.
Collapse

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Point well made, Au Sep 14, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

but is this thread really worth getting out of bed for?

Yes, it is. Many of us find this exchange VERY important.
In the same way as offers can be 'simply ignored', these threads can be 'simply ignored' also by those who are not interested. I repeat: I have written about this for years and I will continue doing so because I think it is worth. Because I know it is worth.

aurora

Precisely, just like skimming through the channels of the usual TV offerings until you find something you like, those who don't care to read what they consider not worth their time can simply not bother reading. To others, including myself, this forum contains some interesting insights into how differently people in the same profession can view themselves and their work. I'm far from saying one viewpoint is "better" than another...but isn't that what a forum dialogue is all about -- different viewpoints expressed?

I did get out of bed this morning to read this thread and for other reasons, of course.

have a great day all,

Bill

[Edited at 2006-09-14 12:11]

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
maybe just a question of language Sep 15, 2006

Mybe its just an unhappy choice of word ("honest"), due to language problems. Maybe what they wanted to say was just something like "serious" or "professional" or so. Be gentle to people, don't mark words.

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Sep 16, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Short-sight attitudes (XX: "this proposal works fine with me now as I live with my parents") is extremely dangerous for the community of translators in the middle and in the long run. Besides, some day in the future, XX will have accounting payables... but the market will be 'shaped' by today's attitudes by then. (This also applies to the 'weekend' thing: we should not see it according to our own situation: today this is a hobby because I have no children. The day you have children, you will find many clients assuming your weekend is ... theirs!).

I insist on the concept of 'shaping our own market'. No association can do more than we can as individual beings (word of mouth). This information we exchange here, in ProZ.com, is key for our future.

Au

[Edited at 2006-09-14 11:27]

It seems that one of the main problems is that many translators start off working for low rates, perhaps charging the same for direct clients and agencies. Then they find that business takes off and they decide to outsource work and effectively operate as an agency. However, they then have to offer an even lower rate to their translators, and it goes on. Since many of these types of jobs are posted on Proz, it gives the impression that this is the going rate.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto - No qualification other than TOTAL hands on :) Jun 19, 2008

[quote]Branka Stankovic McCarthy wrote:

... I've never trained as a translator and yet I've been doing it full time for years now. How is that dishonest beats me.
And you know what? I'm too busy translating to go out and get a piece of paper that will make me an 'honest' translator. Surely, repeat custom from my clients speaks for itself.
Google me. I'll still tell you NO.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting: "Looking for honest translators..."

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »