Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:41
English to German
+ ...
Aug 31, 2006

Hi!
you must know this. I was given a 6000 word project file at a high price, finishing only a couple of hours time frame. There is a TM too. Now I took analysis of the file and gave a quotation on the nomatch count, but the agency wishes to give me the matches also Now where is the catch. Sometimes the work can be great. Best Brandis

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
?? Sep 1, 2006

???

[Edited at 2006-09-01 10:18]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh well Leray Sep 1, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

???

[Edited at 2006-09-01 10:18]
I just wanted to share my appreciation that there are sometimes good customers in this trade. The file wasn´t the tough part, but why does the customer wish to pay me my price?? I certainly did not quote low. It is always after the work is done and delivered the other troubles begin. I hope you understand now. Best Brandis

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Haven't got a clue Sep 1, 2006

Sorry, Brandis. Haven't got a clue about your topic.
Do you want to charge less than your client is willing to pay?? No good idea. Of course there are good clients in the business. And what other troubles, after delivery of work, are you talking about? Could you explain this further. Thanks.

Best regards
Erik

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
Member (2005)
Brandis just wants to share his happiness... Sep 1, 2006

... that a client didn't quibble,even offered to pay the full rate. Since this doesn't happen that often, I think he rightly is exhilarated about it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think Gisela understood the situation perfectly Sep 1, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

Sorry, Brandis. Haven't got a clue about your topic.
Do you want to charge less than your client is willing to pay?? No good idea. Of course there are good clients in the business. And what other troubles, after delivery of work, are you talking about? Could you explain this further. Thanks.

Best regards
Erik
I did not quote low, instead as much as €0.15, the job sounded tough, well the files were not difficult, but there was no matching (trados) full count. That is what I wanted to share, because a thing like this doesn´t happen to us. The client is not new to business. I wonder why he had agreed gladly to my price. Now I shall post again when everything is finished, delivered and the payment is in . Best Brandis p.s Did you get it now.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Matches and matches Sep 1, 2006

Brandis wrote:

Now I took analysis of the file and gave a quotation on the nomatch count, but the agency wishes to give me the matches also

There are matches and matches. Charging nothing for 100 % match or repetition can be fatal.

If any of our clients say that they won't pay for the 100 % matches, I explain to them that we won't check those matches either. No money, no work.

Don't rely too much on matches. There are far too many distinctions in languages to be sure that one single word in a source language only has one single translation - often there are more. Just think about the different German verb forms for headlines, imperative and so on.

Brandis wrote:

Did you get it now.

Thank you for taking your precious time and explaining this to me. But what about the troubles you think you're going to face. If you think there's a catch, you'd rather not take the job.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
??? Sep 1, 2006

Gisela Murdter wrote:

... that a client didn't quibble,even offered to pay the full rate. Since this doesn't happen that often, I think he rightly is exhilarated about it.

This doesn't happen that often? Oh really?

..."humanitarian aspect".... (scratches head)

[Edited at 2006-09-01 18:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oh lala translation and the humanitarian aspect

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »