Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
On the modesty of cheated translators or: Post on the ProZ BB, dammit!
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Abusive Language Aug 22, 2006

Hi,

Well, Blue Board is ok for those who don't pay on time but what about those who use abusive language and are insulting?

I've had one such client recently. Sent the work before the specified time (almost 12 hours in advance)... but still he was shouting at me for being late... and giving him proof didn't seem sufficient (I'd saved our conversation in Yahoo archives)... of course, the phone part I couldn't give but... I don't take kindly to someone shouting at me in
... See more
Hi,

Well, Blue Board is ok for those who don't pay on time but what about those who use abusive language and are insulting?

I've had one such client recently. Sent the work before the specified time (almost 12 hours in advance)... but still he was shouting at me for being late... and giving him proof didn't seem sufficient (I'd saved our conversation in Yahoo archives)... of course, the phone part I couldn't give but... I don't take kindly to someone shouting at me in the middle of night for his/ her own fault... and how I wished that I could actually put it in Blueboard of some sort.

And on top of it I realised that he was one of known bad players (too bad I didn't see it before)...

I have the proof... but where can I post it.

Regards,

Ritu
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Spanish to English
You can still use the BB Aug 22, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Well, Blue Board is ok for those who don't pay on time but what about those who use abusive language and are insulting?...

And on top of it I realised that he was one of known bad players (too bad I didn't see it before)...

I have the proof... but where can I post it.

If you don't want to work with this client again because of the way you were treated, you can still rate them on the BB. You could say something like "paid with no problems, but working with them wasn't a pleasant experience or an experience I would want to repeat" or something like that and the rating you feel is appropriate under the circumstances.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:36
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Nikki Aug 22, 2006

Hi Ritu,

There is no rule to say that the Blue Board is only for reporting on payment. In fact, it is not. It is to indicate willingness to work again, and obviously if the guy shouted at you in the middle of the night you most likely do not want to work with him again, so you can grade him accordingly.

Astrid

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Influence of friendliness Aug 22, 2006

Hi Ritu! The likelihood of working again with an outsourcer is very much based on friendliness. But be aware on how you express it:
Example: "They are rude" is not allowed.
"They were rude to me" is allowed.[/b]

BB FAQ http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb&viewPage=faq
I think you already know this.

The outsourcer may reply that you do not say the truth. So the other users can only presume which statement is plausible. Besides of possible other low LWA you got the advantage of being an active member of PROZ known to many of us because of your forum activities, Kudoz and your significant profile. I definitely attach more value to statements of active members than to unknown persons.
By the way: I think that rude behaviour serves to hide something or comes out of "offence is the best defence". So if there is a report on rude behaviour of an outsourcer and at the same time another low LWA because of nonpayment I will draw a certain conclusion.
So cheer up, Ritu!
All the best! Steffi

[Edited at 2006-08-22 09:30]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Another reason for being reluctant to post low LWA? Aug 22, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I believe that there might be another reason for being reluctant to post a low LWA: The fear of provoking the outsourcer in question to (unjustifiedly) attribute a low LWA to the translator on his part as a kind of "revenge".
What do you think?

Kind regards,
efreitag

Alina Barrow
Alina Barrow
France
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Be professional by having proper Terms & Conditions Sep 1, 2006

Hi,
This is a lesson for all freelancers. There are cetain steps you can take to ensure payment on time.
I recently worked for an agency with the one of the worst Blue board entries. However, this agency paid me promptly because I had set out the Terms & Conditions beforehand.

It is the translator who sets the payment delay, not the agency.
Agencies pay in 60, 90 120 days because the freelancers have given them the opportunity to do so.

Freelancers should:
Agree the rate and payment method.
Ask for a Purchase Order.
Set your credit limit at a resonable figure. You are not in the loan business. If agencies want to borrow money then they should go to a bank.
Do not extend credit over £200.
Keep you client within this limit or ask them to complete a Credit Application form complete with bank and at least 3 supplier references.
Be professional, business-like and firm. Insist on a percentage up front or payment in advance if the credit limit is likely to go over £200. If you don't follow these simple steps, then you have no real right to complain and dish out 1s on the Blue Board.
There isn't much point working, if payment is not forthcoming, late or, as in some cases, never.
I hope this helps you. It certainly works for us.
Best regards to all, Alina

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2005)
Directive 2000/35/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council Sep 1, 2006

Maybe we should include the relevant EU legislation in our Terms + Conditions:

On 8 August 2000, Directive 2000/35/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on combating late payment in commercial transactions was published in the Official Journal L 200, page 35. The Directive entered into force on 8 August 2002. This makes it compulsory for all firms to pay accounts within 30 days following the date of receipt of invoice or of goods or services.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On the modesty of cheated translators or: Post on the ProZ BB, dammit!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »