Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
stress & power cuts & aaaaargh!!! :-(
Thread poster: Eva Middleton
poly (X)
poly (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
i know them as well... Jun 29, 2006

I just posted about my crazy agency experience this week, and now I see that I am *really* not alone!

I'm chiming in with option 3. Spread some of those eggs around and I'd be suspicious of a company who cannot find another translator with the amount of notice you've given them. Do they have problems keeping translators around? By asking things such as "are you in a 3rd world country and not the UK?" , I'd suspect s
... See more
I just posted about my crazy agency experience this week, and now I see that I am *really* not alone!

I'm chiming in with option 3. Spread some of those eggs around and I'd be suspicious of a company who cannot find another translator with the amount of notice you've given them. Do they have problems keeping translators around? By asking things such as "are you in a 3rd world country and not the UK?" , I'd suspect so!

It would still be helpful to locate local resources, in case you don't receive such advance notice of a power cut in the future. In fact, you can find a local library, and test out their computers one day--use them to do new client research!
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Comment... Jul 3, 2006

Beth Dennison wrote:

My local (very small!) library has computers you can book for free if you're a member. They have a broadband internet connection and Word/Excel/Powerpoint software.
Beth

There is a time limit of one hour per day per person at the libraries, and you have to book in advance to secure a computer. I suppose if they have free capacity, they would let you use it longer.

As far as the agency's attitude, precisely because you are in the UK and powercuts are relatively few, they should accept your explanation without any nasty comments.

If powercuts were common, they could be forgiven to think that it is a handy excuse for some other delay, but as it is, I don't think that any of us would report such a thing, particularly in advance, if it wasn't true.

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
parting with the agency... Jul 3, 2006

Well, to add to it all I just had a phone call from the Institute of Linguists telling me that this agent is stubbornly ignoring the many request for a reference they've sent him [angry] so they're unable to process my MCIL application.

I did ask him very nicely before I put his details on the form and thanked him profusely when he agreed.

I'm so annoyed. I have done mountains of complicated work for this guy at a low rate, and he can't even be bothered to fill in a bri
... See more
Well, to add to it all I just had a phone call from the Institute of Linguists telling me that this agent is stubbornly ignoring the many request for a reference they've sent him [angry] so they're unable to process my MCIL application.

I did ask him very nicely before I put his details on the form and thanked him profusely when he agreed.

I'm so annoyed. I have done mountains of complicated work for this guy at a low rate, and he can't even be bothered to fill in a brief reference request form.

Enough is enough.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:08
English to German
+ ...
For the next time here is what you can do... Jul 3, 2006

Hi!

Take a regular 6 cell truck battery giving 650watt, connect to your regular power line via 3-phase plug ( earthing is necessary for the ups to function in time) take a yamaha ups( these are popular for this) doing 750 VA. This solution gives you a power coverage of about 4 hours. Cost aspect €160,- some cabling with multi-plugging device with single switch to activate. the ups starts almost immediately. Best Brandis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

stress & power cuts & aaaaargh!!! :-(

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »