Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 15:36
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2006

Hello all,

Whenever I receive a job notification via proz.com as accepted, the job doesn´t realize. Then why is that so?? Does it happen to you also???. I must understand this situation. Best bob

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 17:36
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Yes, but... Jun 10, 2006

Hello Brandis!

I do agree with you. The very most of projects proposed via Proz (whether accepted/agreed on or vice versa) use to 'disappear'. I can remember just 2 or 3 of them been successfully completed in my pair. I suspect that some Prozians use to 'test' their colleagues with regard to rates and approach to proposed projects. However, that is only my opinion and nothing more.

At the same time, another story happened to me (and I think, I am not alone) with some ot
... See more
Hello Brandis!

I do agree with you. The very most of projects proposed via Proz (whether accepted/agreed on or vice versa) use to 'disappear'. I can remember just 2 or 3 of them been successfully completed in my pair. I suspect that some Prozians use to 'test' their colleagues with regard to rates and approach to proposed projects. However, that is only my opinion and nothing more.

At the same time, another story happened to me (and I think, I am not alone) with some other web-site for translators. In order to increase the number of paying members, that site used to offer some fictitious projects, which have been never completed.

Bests,

Levan

[Edited at 2006-06-10 11:30]
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:36
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Already happened to me Jun 10, 2006

I sometimes receive some job offers through proz.com mail, from colleagues, but only one was indeed completed. I think they could, at least, say why the job wasn't accepted. To me it's rather annoying not knowing what was the reason.

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 17:36
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Absolutely! Jun 10, 2006

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

I sometimes receive some job offers through proz.com mail, from colleagues, but only one was indeed completed. I think they could, at least, say why the job wasn't accepted. To me it's rather annoying not knowing what was the reason.

Absolutely!

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My experience... Jun 11, 2006

First, I admit that I don't often bid on the jobs offered on the job system because I receive enough offers directly, but I have.

Every single bid that has been accepted (at least 5 times) has also come to fruition, i.e. I received the documents, translated them and got paid.

In fact, unless I have misunderstood you, what you describe has never happened to me (yet).

As a side note, I have gained several valuable clients, who also pay well, using the job sys
... See more
First, I admit that I don't often bid on the jobs offered on the job system because I receive enough offers directly, but I have.

Every single bid that has been accepted (at least 5 times) has also come to fruition, i.e. I received the documents, translated them and got paid.

In fact, unless I have misunderstood you, what you describe has never happened to me (yet).

As a side note, I have gained several valuable clients, who also pay well, using the job system.

Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
My experience... Jun 11, 2006

...is almost exactly the same as Derek's, in that jobs that I have bid for and been awarded have always materialised - as well as having gained clients that way.

On the other jand I have been contacted by people - and contacted other colleagues myself - regarding projects that are very much just "possibilities". This is something different to bidding on a job and frequently it doesn't lead to any work, in either direction - but it could be a useful contact further down the line, w
... See more
...is almost exactly the same as Derek's, in that jobs that I have bid for and been awarded have always materialised - as well as having gained clients that way.

On the other jand I have been contacted by people - and contacted other colleagues myself - regarding projects that are very much just "possibilities". This is something different to bidding on a job and frequently it doesn't lead to any work, in either direction - but it could be a useful contact further down the line, who knows...

[Edited at 2006-06-11 17:33]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could try to reformulate my posting., Jun 11, 2006

Hi! The attempt was not to put proz.com job systems in a negative light, it just happens that I have direct clients and most or all bids I sent, of which those ( mostly also first time clients) who react, the project doesn´t land in my lap. Any rational hints? Best Brandis

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 19:06
Oftentimes, jobs do tend to hang Jun 12, 2006

Several jobs I bid on have been accepted and completed, so the bidding system indeed works in my experience. Other bids I have made have been explicitly denied, and I get the email message "your quote has been declined". This too is an indication of a bidding system that works.

However, it is also seen that quite a few jobs seem to 'hang'. In other words, they are never closed, and no message stating 'your quote has been declined' is sent out.

I think ProZ could sta
... See more
Several jobs I bid on have been accepted and completed, so the bidding system indeed works in my experience. Other bids I have made have been explicitly denied, and I get the email message "your quote has been declined". This too is an indication of a bidding system that works.

However, it is also seen that quite a few jobs seem to 'hang'. In other words, they are never closed, and no message stating 'your quote has been declined' is sent out.

I think ProZ could start enforcing a policy that the job-poster must 'close out' the job and/or send out a message to those bidders whose bid was not accepted. I believe a system of automatic closure is now also in place, but no message is received by bidders.

And what about jobs where the poster is 'to be contacted directly'? These are particularly prone to 'hanging'! Such jobs have a very low level of transparency unfortunately.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

an interesting phenomenon that I have been observing for a few years

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »