How much do you charge?
Thread poster: jessjess
jessjess
jessjess
Local time: 22:04
English to French
+ ...
Mar 9, 2006

I have just been offered an in company contract three days a week for ultra technical work and I need to know how much a day of work is worth???

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:04
French to English
Only you can answer that Mar 9, 2006

jessjess wrote:

I have just been offered an in company contract three days a week for ultra technical work and I need to know how much a day of work is worth???

You are the only person who can answer this question.

A client would have to pay me at least $1,000 per day for me to give up my freelancing freedom three days a week.

They would have to allow me to check my mail and answer clients on my cell phone because I am not about to let my business just die away. I would also need to set my own hours and eat my lunch when I'm hungry, not when the client feels I should eat. It would not be worth my while at any price to have to sit in traffic in the morning or afternoon to get to an office -- I would travel at less hectic times.

They would have to compensate for lost business and not being able to get involved in long-term projects.

Come to think of it, no price is high enough to make me give up what I have for three days a week.

Besides, there is no security is letting an employer dictate the terms of employment. My best security is being my own boss

Take care,
Karin Adamczyk

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Agree with Karin, it's only up to you. Mar 9, 2006

Or maybe we're missing some info, are there special conditions, odd schedule, etc.?
As you mention in your profile, you've been in this business for 10 years, and 4 as a full time translator! None better that you to decide on this matter

Best of luck,
Zyntia.

Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
as much as you could earn at home plus... Mar 10, 2006

jessjess wrote:

Let's say you do not care about all the important things Karin says (and trust me, they are important).

Let's say you can normally translate 2200 words a day and you would normally charge 0.10 Euro/word. That would mean in one day you can make 220 Euro.

Start from here and then think about the time you would spend in your car, the money you would spend for your car and fuel, the fact that in those days you would not be your own boss anymore, as Karin puts it (and she is definitely right). Think about how much all this is worth for you and then add some more Euros to the amount above...

Hope this helps,
Nicole

jessjess
jessjess
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Mar 10, 2006

It's true I have been translating for a long time but I have always been employed and therefore had never had to think about that. I have only been independant for a few months. Therefore thank you I needed that kind of answer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you charge?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »