Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language
Thread poster: g_bahadir
g_bahadir
g_bahadir
Local time: 20:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

What are the reasons that motivate people to learn Turkish as a foreign language?Where and why did you start learning Turkish?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-05 01:15]

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 20:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
I lived in Turkey Aug 5, 2005

My answer is a simple one: I learnt Turkish because I lived in Turkey for a long time. If you ask why I decided to work in Turkey, then there is also a very simple answer. I had the offer of a job in Turkey at a time (1987) when there was high unemployment in my own country of the UK and I was unable to find work there.
In short: instrumental motivation.

klghemil ghseil
klghemil ghseil
Equatorial Guinea
Local time: 19:50
Berlin plus holiday Aug 13, 2005

I first started learning Turkish because of a relationship with a native speaker and the possibility of moving to the country, I carried on learning it because I live in Berlin where Turkish is the second language (majority language in my part) and I want to understand what people are saying around me and possibly add it to my vanilla EN/DE/FR to do integration work in Berlin. Is really rewarding to start to understand overheard conversations!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »