Scam e-mail - 'job offer' combined with CAT tools at big discounts
Thread poster: Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Japanese to English
Jul 18, 2005

I got an e-mail today offering a stream of jobs (all at rates too low to take). Nothing unusual there, but the mail also stated that to take their jobs I would have to use "Trados 6.5/7 freelance, Transit XV pro, Deja Vu X 7.0 pro, SDLX 2005 pro, MS Office XP/2003, Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium 2005, QuarkXpress 6.0/6.5. " It then went on to offer to sell me any of these I don't have at big discounts. This is obviously a variant on the usual pirate software spams, but it passes itself off as a ... See more
I got an e-mail today offering a stream of jobs (all at rates too low to take). Nothing unusual there, but the mail also stated that to take their jobs I would have to use "Trados 6.5/7 freelance, Transit XV pro, Deja Vu X 7.0 pro, SDLX 2005 pro, MS Office XP/2003, Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium 2005, QuarkXpress 6.0/6.5. " It then went on to offer to sell me any of these I don't have at big discounts. This is obviously a variant on the usual pirate software spams, but it passes itself off as a purchase order for translation work. I expect it goes without saying that this is a scam to be avoided. Did anyone else get this kind of thing?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-18 06:44]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Can you forward the message to me? Jul 18, 2005

Hi Matthew,
This sounds familiar - can you please forward the message to me, together with the full IP headers (see pobox.com/fullheaders.mhtml for details)?

Thanks, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Known to ProZ.com staff and moderators Jul 18, 2005

Hi again,
Having seen the body text of this message, I can confirm that we're aware of such schemes, and have blocked those responsible from using ProZ.com. Of course, any messages sent outside ProZ.com are beyond our control - in general, you should be vigilant: if something sounds to good to be true, that's usually because it is.

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam e-mail - 'job offer' combined with CAT tools at big discounts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »