Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2005

I will be moving to a rental apartment next month, and have some questions regarding renters insurance. Specifically, how to best figure out how much is needed, and whether personal liability coverage is also necessary. I work full-time out of a home office. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
... See more
I will be moving to a rental apartment next month, and have some questions regarding renters insurance. Specifically, how to best figure out how much is needed, and whether personal liability coverage is also necessary. I work full-time out of a home office. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI/UAB
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
German to English
Personal liability not needed Feb 8, 2005

Hi Susana,
Your post has gone unanswered for a while.

A couple of things need to be kept in mind. First you might not want to let on about the business purpose of your computers, as sometimes equipment used for business cannot be included in renter's insurance. You use the computer to surf the Web, right? Then it's for personal use.

Second, you need to estimate what it would cost to replace your furnishings, including computer. Include your clothing and jewelry a
... See more
Hi Susana,
Your post has gone unanswered for a while.

A couple of things need to be kept in mind. First you might not want to let on about the business purpose of your computers, as sometimes equipment used for business cannot be included in renter's insurance. You use the computer to surf the Web, right? Then it's for personal use.

Second, you need to estimate what it would cost to replace your furnishings, including computer. Include your clothing and jewelry as well.

Third, your premium may depend upon your deductible. High deductible = low premium.

Fourth, make sure your insurance covers all losses: fire, theft, water damage from other apartments, etc.

Fifth, you really don't need personal liability insurance. If someone slips on the steps of your apartment building, the landlord is responsible, not you. If you accidentally poison someone with your cooking, that's another matter, however.
Good luck,
Kevin
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
excuse me??? Feb 9, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:
If you accidentally poison someone with your cooking, that's another matter, however.

That would mean I would have to start cooking

Seriously though...excellent tips, just what I was looking for.

Thanks much,

S.G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on renters insurance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »