Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The market sets the rates, not us Oct 20, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:
Second, industry wages are nothing to do with independent translators' fees. WE decide what we charge, not our clients.

Yes, "we" decide... we decide to set our rates lower, because the market says it must be lower. Yes, "we" set the rates.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, we decide Oct 20, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:
Second, industry wages are nothing to do with independent translators' fees. WE decide what we charge, not our clients.

Yes, "we" decide... we decide to set our rates lower, because the market says it must be lower. Yes, "we" set the rates.

I just raised my rates, deciding not to work with clients who won't pay these rates. So yes, we decide...

Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
I am probably one of them... Oct 21, 2014

I think Samuel is probably right on most accounts. Most of the freelancers I know are women trying to juggle child raising and working, while the husbands/fathers work demanding jobs that take them from home several days a week, if not all week.

While my husband and I are both engineers, I am a Ph.D. whereas he is *only* an MS. Nevertheless, I was never much interested in the rat race and preferred to work from home while raising numerous children (yes, including full daycare; but t
... See more
I think Samuel is probably right on most accounts. Most of the freelancers I know are women trying to juggle child raising and working, while the husbands/fathers work demanding jobs that take them from home several days a week, if not all week.

While my husband and I are both engineers, I am a Ph.D. whereas he is *only* an MS. Nevertheless, I was never much interested in the rat race and preferred to work from home while raising numerous children (yes, including full daycare; but that in my experience never matches the working hours of an engineer working full steam ahead, anyway).

I enjoy being able to take the dog for a walk when the sun is out, doing the shopping when the stores are empty, being there to help with homework and teenage angst. Not having to wear hose or commute.

Obviously I make less money than my dh, but I get to enjoy life more - and who ever wished on his/her deathbed to have spent more time behind his/her desk?!

At least in my case it was a conscious decision I have yet to regret.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Women invoicing less than men

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »