Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to: legal protection on international level?
Thread poster: Gil Michel
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
German to English
international coverage also possible in Germany Jun 27, 2014

I have German professional indemnity insurance that covers claims from anywhere in the world except the US. So, that's at least two examples of policies that are valid internationally.
If you decide that you do want insurance, you ought to call the company that cooperates with the ITI and ask if they can cover you as a non-resident. If that doesn't work out, then you ought to contact an Argentinian translators association: They can surely provide you with locally relevant information.
... See more
I have German professional indemnity insurance that covers claims from anywhere in the world except the US. So, that's at least two examples of policies that are valid internationally.
If you decide that you do want insurance, you ought to call the company that cooperates with the ITI and ask if they can cover you as a non-resident. If that doesn't work out, then you ought to contact an Argentinian translators association: They can surely provide you with locally relevant information.
The question of whether or not it is stupid or smart to have this kind of insurance and whether or not it is possible to protect yourself (better or more cheaply) in other ways has already been discussed extensively (Search the forums for "indemnity").
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But the US is an important part of the international scene Jun 27, 2014

Michael Wetzel wrote:

I certainly wouldn't see the point in paying out for that. If it's supposed to be US companies who are the most ready to sue, shouldn't they be the first to be included, not excluded?

Having said that, I think the risk of any of my US clients suing me is small enough to take the risk of doing business with them without insurance, as I do with my other clients. I just hope that I'm not going to have to eat my hat - I'll need it to retain my decency when they've taken the shirt off my back.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:25
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Has it happened? Jun 27, 2014

Can anyone point to a case where a translator was sued for liability?

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Jun 27, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

Can anyone point to a case where a translator was sued for liability?

Seems to be a bit like the Loch Ness monster - often talked about, but rarely seen.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to: legal protection on international level?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »