Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Are cloud-based CAT tools incompatible with your workflow?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
Member (2009)
French to English
Different mindset Jun 3, 2014

Working with online CAT tools does take a bit of a different process, but I believe most of them have different commands for 'saving' vs 'committing' to a translation which would give you at least until the end of a day/session to review your work. The difficulties you are experiencing with your work process are not much different than the challenges with any high-volume group project. I have been involved in a few projects where, simply for the sake of expediency, we had to share imperfect draf... See more
Working with online CAT tools does take a bit of a different process, but I believe most of them have different commands for 'saving' vs 'committing' to a translation which would give you at least until the end of a day/session to review your work. The difficulties you are experiencing with your work process are not much different than the challenges with any high-volume group project. I have been involved in a few projects where, simply for the sake of expediency, we had to share imperfect drafts. It never feels great, but it did help the project get done more quickly. These imperfect drafts were not the finals which were delivered to the client however.

It would probably be useful to try to develop some flexibility in your work style as a mental exercise, but it is perfectly fine if this is not the work for you.
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:25
English to Russian
Maintaining confidentiality is the client's headache in this case Jun 5, 2014

Marcel G. wrote:

I would definitely not use a cloud-based CAT tool. First of all, it's not the safest way to store confidential data.

I believe you should not worry about it, Marcel. It is the client (either a translation agency, or a direct client) who instructs you to use their 'most efficient, reliable and secure' cloud-based CAT, thus assuming liability for any potential adverse consequences. To be on the safe side, you can insert a disclaimer to this effect in your communications to, or contract with, the client.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:25
Member (2006)
French to English
and the Pros? Jun 15, 2014

There are a lot of valid points made about the cons of an online CAT tool (productivity loss being the main one in my opinion).

However, what about the pros?

Let's say I translate a sentence with a rough draft and it goes to the server TM. If that unedited TU gets pulled and presented to another person working on the same project, it could help initiate a dialogue between us. The other person might not agree, make changes to terminology, etc. and be able to inform you i
... See more
There are a lot of valid points made about the cons of an online CAT tool (productivity loss being the main one in my opinion).

However, what about the pros?

Let's say I translate a sentence with a rough draft and it goes to the server TM. If that unedited TU gets pulled and presented to another person working on the same project, it could help initiate a dialogue between us. The other person might not agree, make changes to terminology, etc. and be able to inform you in real-time of these edits.

Personally, if I am not 99% confident about a translation, I tend not commit it to memory anyways so it wouldn't appear in the TM in the first place for the other translator. I would go back to it at the end of the day, maybe send questions to the client or PM, etc. before committing it to memory.

Good discussion about cloud-based CAT tools nonetheless!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Q&A Jun 16, 2014

Q: Are cloud-based CAT tools incompatible with your workflow?
A: Yes. I wouldn’t touch one with a ten-foot pole. Once you try CafeTran, there is no looking back.

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are cloud-based CAT tools incompatible with your workflow?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »