Marija Cvetkovic
Marija Cvetkovic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 17:08
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Austria... Nov 12, 2013

I was asked this VAT number from an Italian localization firm. I called my tax office to get registered in the system V.I.E.S. (Vat Information Exchange System), but they told me this is not neccessary since I am not in the VAT system (not required to pay VAT). Ergo, I am not in the VIES.
It's been 4.5 months since Croatia has joined the EU and I believe this puzzle will be solved once our clerks get more knowledge and experience... (keeps her fingers crossed)

I will have to c
... See more
I was asked this VAT number from an Italian localization firm. I called my tax office to get registered in the system V.I.E.S. (Vat Information Exchange System), but they told me this is not neccessary since I am not in the VAT system (not required to pay VAT). Ergo, I am not in the VIES.
It's been 4.5 months since Croatia has joined the EU and I believe this puzzle will be solved once our clerks get more knowledge and experience... (keeps her fingers crossed)

I will have to check the thresholds too, thank you.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 11:29 GMT]
Collapse

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here Nov 12, 2013

Marija, I had the same problem here. I came to Austria and learned that I have the possibility to opt not to charge VAT when I do not exceed a threshold of 30.000 Euro/year.
I was fine with that for the beginning, but then my agencies (mainly from Spain) requested a VAT number. I went to the finance authority and said that I wanted to have a VAT number only for the foreign clients but I did not want to declare VAT at the authorities. In the beginning this was big trouble, they said that I
... See more
Marija, I had the same problem here. I came to Austria and learned that I have the possibility to opt not to charge VAT when I do not exceed a threshold of 30.000 Euro/year.
I was fine with that for the beginning, but then my agencies (mainly from Spain) requested a VAT number. I went to the finance authority and said that I wanted to have a VAT number only for the foreign clients but I did not want to declare VAT at the authorities. In the beginning this was big trouble, they said that I do not need this number and I said that my clients won't give me jobs without the number.
Finally I got the VAT number and now I do my declarations. I found out that this is not as much work and trouble as I initially expected and I am on the safe side now.
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
English to Russian
Russia Nov 12, 2013

In my country if you a freelancer you have to register as an individual entrpreuneur and submit tax returns every year.
The tax is 6% on your income plus a fixed social security payment conprising 2 separate payments - one into your pension fund and the second one into the compusoly medical insurance fund. This year it is 35,000 Roubles (roughly 1,100 USD) for both.
In some regions local regulations as an alternative allow translators to buy a patent for a fixed minimum amount paid
... See more
In my country if you a freelancer you have to register as an individual entrpreuneur and submit tax returns every year.
The tax is 6% on your income plus a fixed social security payment conprising 2 separate payments - one into your pension fund and the second one into the compusoly medical insurance fund. This year it is 35,000 Roubles (roughly 1,100 USD) for both.
In some regions local regulations as an alternative allow translators to buy a patent for a fixed minimum amount paid in advance. This minimum is determined by the local taxation office. No need to say it tends to increase every year.
But in any case you have to register your currency business acounts, so that the tax authorities can check your income with your bank. Receiving payments from your clients into your personal accounts is a tax evasion violation and is punishable with a fine.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Matthew Trulandzev
Matthew Trulandzev
United States
German to English
+ ...
Croatia might be an exception Nov 13, 2013

I do think that all of the translators that don't pay taxes in Croatia will never get caught if the law remains the same there, because in my book, Croatia is one of the European countries where the law is not as strict (like it is in Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, France etc. from where I see some posters are getting based on at). However, now that they are in the EU, if they change the law and make it strict there, too, then I'm sure them translators will start to pay taxes or get in trouble.

Grazia Brunello
Grazia Brunello  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Surprise Nov 13, 2013

Salithealbo wrote:

I do think that all of the translators that don't pay taxes in Croatia will never get caught if the law remains the same there, because in my book, Croatia is one of the European countries where the law is not as strict (like it is in Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, France etc. from where I see some posters are getting based on at). However, now that they are in the EU, if they change the law and make it strict there, too, then I'm sure them translators will start to pay taxes or get in trouble.

Italy strict? Since when?????

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Taxes with benefits Nov 13, 2013

Many of my customers are from overseas and pay to my Paypal account, which is linked to my US bank account, and such income would be difficult to trace, to say the least.

But often there are concerns other than dollar signs at work. For full-time freelancer tax documents may be the only recognized proof of income, and I don't think I want to screw myself when getting a credit card or buying a house, just to save a couple hundred dollars on taxes.

Matthew Trulandzev
Matthew Trulandzev
United States
German to English
+ ...
Stricter than Croatia, at least Nov 13, 2013

Grazia Brunello wrote:

Salithealbo wrote:

Italy strict? Since when?????

From what I have heard in the last few years, in Italy, people are having to pay taxes like crazy (a high percentage of what they make). I was referring to it being stricter than Croatia's, but we can find many states with much stricter law than Italy's in Europe, for sure.

Marija Cvetkovic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT on your invoices Feb 1, 2014

Hello again

I was wondering, do you state VAT on your invoices? For example,

1) you and the client agree that your rate is 0,06 EUR. You translate 1,000 words. You charge:
0,06 x 1000 = 60 EUR, period. No VAT stated on your invoice, or maybe it's written as "VAT 0%".

The client pays you 60 EUR. Do you pay VAT on this amount?

2) you and the client agree that your rate is 0
... See more
Hello again

I was wondering, do you state VAT on your invoices? For example,

1) you and the client agree that your rate is 0,06 EUR. You translate 1,000 words. You charge:
0,06 x 1000 = 60 EUR, period. No VAT stated on your invoice, or maybe it's written as "VAT 0%".

The client pays you 60 EUR. Do you pay VAT on this amount?

2) you and the client agree that your rate is 0,06 EUR. You translate 1,000 words. You charge:
0,06 x 1000 = 60 EUR, plus add (in Croatia) 25% VAT. So total amount on the invoice is now 60+15=75 EUR. You keep the 60 and pay 15 EUR of VAT to the government.

(But this would mean thatyou're charging the client more than the agreed 0,06 per source word.)

I still haven't resolved my situation with the tax authorities, mind you

[Edited at 2014-02-01 07:51 GMT]
Collapse

Marija Cvetkovic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT on your invoices II Feb 1, 2014

I'm asking because - this is the newest thing they're telling me now - is that even if I don't state VAT on my invoice, or I state that it's 0%, I STILL HAVE TO fill the VAT form and pay 25% VAT. :/

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
VAT: domestic and foreign countries Feb 1, 2014

You can find VAT regulations on the EU website
http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/buy-sell/index_en.htm

This is the general picture: every country has it's own detailed rules, like a minimum annual threshold.

Basically, businesses always quote rates without VAT, then you add VAT (or not) on top, depending on specific rul
... See more
You can find VAT regulations on the EU website
http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/buy-sell/index_en.htm

This is the general picture: every country has it's own detailed rules, like a minimum annual threshold.

Basically, businesses always quote rates without VAT, then you add VAT (or not) on top, depending on specific rules like : client in your country, in the EU, outside the EU, client is VAT-registerd or not...

As a business, you never "pay' VAT : you collect VAT from your clients and you return it to your tax office, monthly or quarterly or once in the year.
And when you buy something for your business (computer, software, training, travel fees ....) you pay VAT but you can get the VAT amount back whan you fill in your VAT form.

I am sure Croatia will have to follow the general rules. It can be that not all local tax offices are well aware of these new regulations ...better ask the head office in Zagreb.
Collapse

Marija Cvetkovic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your particular invoices Feb 1, 2014

I understand, Nordiste. I will of course find out on Monday, but in the meantime I was interested in other people's experiences. Do YOU, particularly, state the VAT on your invoice, if you are in France and I am in, for example, Spain?

How about if you issue an invoice to, say, India or USA? (Non-EU countries.)

I am just interested in real-life examples.

Marija Cvetkovic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hrvatski prevoditelji May 29, 2014

I would like to get in touch with a Croatian translator who is self-employed. Are there any of you here?
I need to ask about your status (obrt, d.o.o.) and tax (paušalno ili ne, u sustavu PDV-a ili ne) and ID number and...... I am exhausted((

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paying taxes as freelancers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »