Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Jaakko Heikkila
Jaakko Heikkila  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:42
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
An intriguing thread, this. May 30, 2006

Like many others, I have read through this thread with keen interest. Very important issues are raised here, because they can have a long-term effect on how one pursues to develop one's business.

Thank you Roberta, Andrew, Pablo and Aleksandr (and others also) for your valuable input in this thread. I have not been in the industry for that long, so I am especially interested on the views of established professionals, who are creatively searching for ideas to put their other areas of
... See more
Like many others, I have read through this thread with keen interest. Very important issues are raised here, because they can have a long-term effect on how one pursues to develop one's business.

Thank you Roberta, Andrew, Pablo and Aleksandr (and others also) for your valuable input in this thread. I have not been in the industry for that long, so I am especially interested on the views of established professionals, who are creatively searching for ideas to put their other areas of expertise into use.

Like I said, I have not yet gathered very much experience from combining various skills, but I have, to some extent, combined IT and translation: In addition to being a freelance translator, I am a part time lecturer in IT, I design and produce web sites using a CMS system, and I am very interested in digital photography. I share Pablo's idea of learning some DTP. It is great fun and can prove to be most valuable: I have some experience in DTP, and some clients have been astounded to have a finished and laid out translation at their hands.

The idea of teaching (as Aleksandr, among others, pointed out) is also great, because it gives you the opportunity to work with other human beings face to face. This is a welcome change from the usual cyberspace encounters translators have. It also prevents you from growing roots in your working chair (and most of all it reminds you of the wonderful freedom of being a freelance translator).

Keep the discussion going!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next step for a successful freelancer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »