as a freelance, what info you show in embassies?
Thread poster: Juan Murillo
Juan Murillo
Juan Murillo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2012

justifying my income to an embassy in order to get a visa is one of the most important parts of the process. in this case the embassy needs all documents that prove economic activity. most of my clients pay me in a very informal way. what to do? is there any form that translators use to gather all of the clients and keeping a record?

than you very much

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 21:44
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tax documents Jun 22, 2012

I suppose that you declare your income so any documents you submit to the tax office would help.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
'In a very informal way'. Jun 24, 2012

That sounds interesting.

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 00:44
English to Russian
+ ...
what I normally do is... Jul 18, 2012

keep a current bank account where I have certain amount of money - usually as requested my an Embassy and enough to actually keep my paying with my VISA card (or well, whatever card you get with the account). Statement from the bank on availability of money on this account is enough for embassies. I also provide a copy of my Entrepreneaur registration paper as equivalent to employment confirmation to prove my working status. In CIS countries it's not difficult to get registered as Individual Ent... See more
keep a current bank account where I have certain amount of money - usually as requested my an Embassy and enough to actually keep my paying with my VISA card (or well, whatever card you get with the account). Statement from the bank on availability of money on this account is enough for embassies. I also provide a copy of my Entrepreneaur registration paper as equivalent to employment confirmation to prove my working status. In CIS countries it's not difficult to get registered as Individual Entrepreneur. I really don't think you need to keep records of your clients and stuff of the kind, embassy is only interested to see that you have available money for the trip. Kazakhstan citizens are not the most popular with most embassies, still these papers are sufficient for a tourist visa.Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
My paperwork for my wife... Aug 11, 2012

I had a similar situation a few months ago while petitioning my wife's visa. I keep a detailed record of all my clients and projects, with daily, weekly, monthly and annual reviews (I'm addicted to excel spreadsheets, I have lists for shopping, TV programs and my favorite video games). I just presented my tax information for this and last year, a print out of my bank transactions and those spreadsheets. I also presented a letter stating that I am a freelance contractor with my estimated yearly i... See more
I had a similar situation a few months ago while petitioning my wife's visa. I keep a detailed record of all my clients and projects, with daily, weekly, monthly and annual reviews (I'm addicted to excel spreadsheets, I have lists for shopping, TV programs and my favorite video games). I just presented my tax information for this and last year, a print out of my bank transactions and those spreadsheets. I also presented a letter stating that I am a freelance contractor with my estimated yearly income. That was enough for the US embassy in Buenos Aires Argentina and my wife was granted her fiance visa. We are celebrating our 3 month anniversary tomorrow ^_^Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

as a freelance, what info you show in embassies?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »