Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:09
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
It's done... but not promoted at all Nov 28, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Perhaps a standard form could be designed that is downloadable from ProZ and we could convince agencies to accept this format? If they then had any further questions or need for clarification they would then be free to email us... or is that just a pipe dream?

This has been done long time ago by ProZ staff... Unfortunately, it is not promoted at all, so practically nobody knows the format exists. More information:

http://www.proz.com/tpxsoa/doc/index

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Strikes me as a terrible waste Nov 28, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

This has been done long time ago by ProZ staff... Unfortunately, it is not promoted at all, so practically nobody knows the format exists. More information:

http://www.proz.com/tpxsoa/doc/index

I took a look at the link - it could be something that might be very useful, where on earth is it on the actual site though (which menu?) and, for fear of going off-topic here, does anyone have any ideas on how we could promote this to the agencies?

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't mind me Nov 28, 2011

No I don't think this is going off topic at all... it is exactly my point. I don't want to have to give my info in a different format for every agency that exists out there.

I dislike filling out forms intensely.

If I can do it once and have it done for everybody, then I'm all for it!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
TPX Nov 28, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:
I took a look at the link - it could be something that might be very useful, where on earth is it on the actual site though (which menu?) and, for fear of going off-topic here, does anyone have any ideas on how we could promote this to the agencies?

It is not available to users - as I understand the documentation, the relevant info could be gathered with API from the profiles themselves. But, naturally, one could fill out the info manually (not preferable, I guess) or an application could be created that would provide a user interface for the form.

As for the agencies, it is obvious that it would take them some effort to integrate the data into their own systems. As they have no particular reason to do so (it's just more work for them), it would require some incentive - ad time, additional promotion at the site, another form of recognition, well, even a badge would be better than nothing...

Alison High
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessarily Nov 29, 2011

It would require work on the in-between stage.... but it must be possible for an API application to output the information (stored in the database) in the output format required by each agency once they'd set up the format (i.e. sequence of information) they want, by dragging the info around the page.... exporting to excel....

I really don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility nowadays.

Alison High
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stamps and snailmail Nov 29, 2011

van driel wrote:

When in the past you sent out cv's by snail mail, you also paid the stamps.

No I didn't, that's before my time, sorry!

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2011)
English to German
The meaning of forms? Nov 30, 2011

Alison High wrote:

Hi, I find myself having to fill out forms for agencies which ask for the information I have already given them... for the most part anyway. It would appear that they want it in their standardised format and I'm the one, it appears that has to do this monotonous administrative task for them.

When I moved from Germany to the US in December 2011, I applied for jobs as an executive/administrative assistant and had to fill out a lot of application forms online. This was OK for me.

Is it actually OK that they ask me to do this? It most definitely is not one of my favourite jobs.

Well, if you really want the job, then that’s probably the way you do it…

I'm fairly computer-minded, but their standardised in-house formats they want me to enter my details into are so NOT standardised with any other agency (web-based, .xls or .doc, order, layout, you name it) that I doubt a macro or anything similar could do it for me.

Yes, don’t just try to copy and paste your details. That will end in a mess.

They do always leave you a space where you can insert some additional text.

That's right.

So what are your thoughts on the matter?

Just a sec...

inge van dri (X)
inge van dri (X)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Strange Nov 30, 2011

Alison High wrote:

van driel wrote:

When in the past you sent out cv's by snail mail, you also paid the stamps.

No I didn't, that's before my time, sorry!

that young people are not willing to invest time and money in marketing. Does it have to come out of the sky?

Alison High
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Filling out forms for an in-house position/salaried job is not the same thing Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for your input.

A salaried position, however lasts months or years, so filling out a certain number of forms for that amount of time is more proportional to the time spent on a job.

As freelancers, we need to be constantly contacting agencies and this may lead to just one job that takes a little as a few hours.... so filling out yet another form in yet another format is not so proportional to the time spent on the job.

This means that a significant a
... See more
Thanks for your input.

A salaried position, however lasts months or years, so filling out a certain number of forms for that amount of time is more proportional to the time spent on a job.

As freelancers, we need to be constantly contacting agencies and this may lead to just one job that takes a little as a few hours.... so filling out yet another form in yet another format is not so proportional to the time spent on the job.

This means that a significant amount of time is spent entering information we have already provided, just in a different format.... this is what this thread is about... if there's a way of reducing the number of times I have to type exactly the same thing, I for one, want to know about it
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:09
Japanese to English
H.G. Wells would be proud Nov 30, 2011

[quote]Marina Steinbach wrote:

When I moved from Germany to the US in December 2011

If you're done with your time machine, can I borrow it?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filling out forms...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »