Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Parents or people on the move - best device for checking emails when out and about?
Thread poster: Katharine Ridgard
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katharine Aug 30, 2011

Katharine Ridgard wrote:
I can already do that with my mobile phone but I can't open the files my clients send me. I thought of getting an iPhone or equivalent but a friend advised me that it would be an expensive option on a monthly basis and recommended getting an iPad 3G instead- which is expensive initially but much cheaper monthly.

If you don't have software on your tablet computer capable of opening the attachments that your clients send you, then the tablet is just as useless as the cellphone or the smart phone.

One option (if you can do web browsing on your phone) is to have all your mail forwarded to a Gmail address, which offers a web-based preview of recognised document formats.

Another option is to religiously set your out-of-office replies so that clients know exactly (or more or less) when you will be able to reply to their mails. I take the line that freelancers can show a bit of human touch by saying things like "off to the dentist" or "gone to fetch kids from school" in their out-of-office replies.

If you really want to get a tablet, wait until Apple loses the current EU patent skirmish and get yourself a Galaxy Tab instead of the silly iPad (or pop over the border to the Netherlands, where Apple's ten patent infringement claims have been rejected, and get one, and don't show it to the border guard).

[Edited at 2011-08-30 22:30 GMT]

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Tutto Smartphone - TIM Aug 31, 2011

Hi Katharine,

Have a look at this link:

http://www.tim.it/consumer/o128182/tariffa.do

1GB of internet/month costs €2 a week with TIM, but with this promotion, you pay €9 a month for 24 months and get a smartphone included. The offer is only on until Sunday though!

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
@Emma Aug 31, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Sarah Elizabeth Cree wrote:

I have been using a Blackberry Curve 8520 in Italy for over a year now,

I can download Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Pdf docs directly to my phone (using an app called Docs to Go), check the project content, check word counts, etc.

Slightly off-topic, sorry, but I just wondered if you know how to browse to the end of a long e-mail, or to the end of a long Word doc with your Blackberry?

I'm looking for some equivalent of Ctrl+end, so that I don't have to scroll all the way down. (I have the same BlackBerry and use Docs to go.)

Thanks,
Emma

Hi Emma,

There is a detailed user manual on the Dataviz website for Docs To Go, and there you will find a list of all of the navigation shortcuts (as well as lots of other information for optimizing use of the software), but unfortunately you can only use these shortcuts to navigate while in view mode. In view mode, you can however scroll one screen at a time, using the space bar (for down) and shift+space (for up), or go directly to the top of the doc (T) or the bottom (B). All pretty convenient. The page scrolling isn't perfect: the new page includes part of the page that you just left, so your reading flow gets broken up by having to quickly identify where to resume reading, but it's not so bad.

Those shortcuts also work for navigating email.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

[Edited at 2011-08-31 08:18 GMT]

Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
LOL Aug 31, 2011

mediamatrix wrote:

Your daughter and those clients share a common trait: they want your immediate attention as soon as they start shouting.

MediaMatrix

Loved this quote!

But on a more serious note, I recently bought a smartphone second hand. It was just one month old and is still under warranty for almost another year. It saved me 25% off the retail price and I still got an as new device. So buying second hand might be an option.

And I am really happy with the phone (a Huawei 8800), though my husband believes I am enslaving myself to my clients by being able to respond all the time. This, however, is another discussion all together...

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
@ Sarah Aug 31, 2011

Sarah Elizabeth Cree wrote:

scroll one screen at a time, using the space bar (for down) and shift+space (for up), or go directly to the top of the doc (T) or the bottom (B).

That's just what I was looking for! Thanks!

Katharine Ridgard
Katharine Ridgard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:50
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for pointing this out. Aug 31, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Hi Katharine,

1GB of internet/month costs €2 a week with TIM, but with this promotion, you pay €9 a month for 24 months and get a smartphone included. The offer is only on until Sunday though!

I'll look into it- quickly! I'm considering a move to France though, so wonder how long you need to stay with TIM in order to avoid them charging you for the smartphone? I didn't see anything about that in the regulations.

I will set aside some time this week to investigate all these options, thanks again everyone!

And again, I'm well aware of the value of investing in my child, which is why I'll be with her, and not sitting at my computer, from 4 p.m. onwards!

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
24 months Aug 31, 2011

Katharine Ridgard wrote:

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Hi Katharine,

I'll look into it- quickly! I'm considering a move to France though, so wonder how long you need to stay with TIM in order to avoid them charging you for the smartphone? I didn't see anything about that in the regulations.

It's 24 months.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
E-mail Aug 31, 2011

Question: I am currently using the Proz hosting system with my own domain name. If I open an e-mail and view an attachment at home, the message is deleted from the server. If I am away from home and open an e-mail and attachment on my blackberry or iphone, when I return home, I will not be able to access this e-mail from Internet Explorer (in order to work on a job). Is there a way to set this up (either from the device or ProZ hosting settings) so that the message is only deleted from the serve... See more
Question: I am currently using the Proz hosting system with my own domain name. If I open an e-mail and view an attachment at home, the message is deleted from the server. If I am away from home and open an e-mail and attachment on my blackberry or iphone, when I return home, I will not be able to access this e-mail from Internet Explorer (in order to work on a job). Is there a way to set this up (either from the device or ProZ hosting settings) so that the message is only deleted from the server when downloaded to a computer?Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Parents or people on the move - best device for checking emails when out and about?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »