Thread poster: Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:55
Member (2009)
English to French
Jul 8, 2011

I just had my first time of being asked to do the same job by a direct client and an agency at the same time. I won the bid instead of the agency, I'll keep that 40% cut, thank you!

It really feels great, just wanted to share

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Congrats! Jul 8, 2011

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

I just had my first time of being asked to do the same job by a direct client and an agency at the same time. I won the bid instead of the agency, I'll keep that 40% cut, thank you!

It really feels great, just wanted to share

But you do realize that you have to pay the editor with the "cut", and what is left is the payment for your hours of project management?

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:55
Just wondering... Jul 8, 2011

I am interested to know whether you let the direct client know up front that you also work for the agency whom you "outbid"? There is a chance that the direct client knew this already.
I am also wondering what others would do in a similar situation.

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Minimal Jul 8, 2011

Project management is minimal, the project was split into 2 or 3 translators, the direct client will still manage everything.

I really don't think that the direct client knows which translators the agency contacted for this assignment, after all, it was still a very uncertain assignment for the agency.

I did tell the direct client that I had been contacted by an agency with a similar project (the agency gave me very few details) but I did not give out names. I also reve
... See more
Project management is minimal, the project was split into 2 or 3 translators, the direct client will still manage everything.

I really don't think that the direct client knows which translators the agency contacted for this assignment, after all, it was still a very uncertain assignment for the agency.

I did tell the direct client that I had been contacted by an agency with a similar project (the agency gave me very few details) but I did not give out names. I also revealed this information only after it was confirmed that the project was assigned to me. The client seemed very happy to cut the middle man also. To be fair, it was an agency I hadn't heard from in 18 months, I don't feel bad one bit.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulations Jul 9, 2011

I wish that I could get these kind of opportunities, and I also wish that more direct clients would come to their senses and realize that the charges assessed by agencies over and above what a skilled freelancer would happily accept are often not commensurate with the value they add to the finished product.

[Edited at 2011-07-09 02:02 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ethics Jul 9, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

I am interested to know whether you let the direct client know up front that you also work for the agency whom you "outbid"? There is a chance that the direct client knew this already.
I am also wondering what others would do in a similar situation.

Letting the the direct client know up front would be the right thing to do ethically, but many might be tempted by the 40% chunk that would be creamed off by the agency. A tough decision.
Even without a prior confidentiality agreement, I find it good practice never to "jump over the head" of colleagues, and always try to "do unto others" ... but not "before they do you"

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Added value? What added value? Jul 9, 2011

Robert Forstag wrote:

I wish ... that more direct clients would come to their senses and realize that the charges assessed by agencies ...are often not commensurate with the value they add to the finished product.

[Edited at 2011-07-09 02:02 GMT]

Totally agree. I often wonder how some agencies manage to sucker their clients in, especially the ones who obviously don't give a hoot about quality or the client other than looking good to them. I suppose their outlay on advertising/client capture justifies their existence to some extent...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One upping an agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »