https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/200224-is_your_internet_addiction_harming_your_work-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is your internet addiction harming your work?
Thread poster: wxyz (X)
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 23:11
French to English
+ ...
the same horrible system Jun 2, 2011

Ulrike H wrote:

What I find sometimes helps is setting myself some rules. Like, for every hour of work, I am allowed 15 minutes of playing on the internet AFTERWARDS. (the difficult part of course is going back to work after that - so maybe it works better to allow yourself an hour of online time after four hours of work, or something similar).

I live under a similar horrible system myself.

I will play for half an hour on the computer, then I will work for a few hours. When time to work comes, a little voice says, "Just 10 more minutes? I have plenty of time to work."
OK, 10 more minutes and that's it.
When 10 minutes are up, "Really, 10 more minutes won't make a difference..."
No, enough. Time to work, then you can take another half-hour break on the Internet in a few hours.
I'm sure I have enough time to do all the work if I just spend another 10 minutes on this...
You have to work now.
Five more minutes? Five minutes, what are five little minutes?

Some days it can be a tough battle...

But today is a holiday Been playing for more than three hours.

But I have to work later... sigh

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not addiction but distraction Aug 11, 2012

I think I've read that if you spend more than 6 hours a day, you could be considered an addict. I may be a little addicted but the internet doesn't deter from meeting with friends, going out, jogging or walking and taking pictures.

I feel, however, that when I am online, the last thing I pay attentio to is translation. I check my emails and some forums and then I focus on translation. When I am busy, I always think that when I have some spare time, I will focus on reading on transla
... See more
I think I've read that if you spend more than 6 hours a day, you could be considered an addict. I may be a little addicted but the internet doesn't deter from meeting with friends, going out, jogging or walking and taking pictures.

I feel, however, that when I am online, the last thing I pay attentio to is translation. I check my emails and some forums and then I focus on translation. When I am busy, I always think that when I have some spare time, I will focus on reading on translation or working on my TMs or trying new translation software but I fail to do. I hope to get serious one day.

Tom in London wrote:

wxyz wrote:

Is anyone else having this problem?

No. I used to be addicted but I got over it. In the meantime you may want to visit this link:

http://tinyurl.com/bud4

haha
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is your internet addiction harming your work?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »