Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is your internet addiction harming your work?
Thread poster: wxyz (X)
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 13:24
French to English
+ ...
the same horrible system Jun 2, 2011

Ulrike H wrote:

What I find sometimes helps is setting myself some rules. Like, for every hour of work, I am allowed 15 minutes of playing on the internet AFTERWARDS. (the difficult part of course is going back to work after that - so maybe it works better to allow yourself an hour of online time after four hours of work, or something similar).

I live under a similar horrible system myself.

I will play for half an hour on the computer, then I will work for a few hours. When time to work comes, a little voice says, "Just 10 more minutes? I have plenty of time to work."
OK, 10 more minutes and that's it.
When 10 minutes are up, "Really, 10 more minutes won't make a difference..."
No, enough. Time to work, then you can take another half-hour break on the Internet in a few hours.
I'm sure I have enough time to do all the work if I just spend another 10 minutes on this...
You have to work now.
Five more minutes? Five minutes, what are five little minutes?

Some days it can be a tough battle...

But today is a holiday Been playing for more than three hours.

But I have to work later... sigh

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Hungary
Local time: 17:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not addiction but distraction Aug 11, 2012

I think I've read that if you spend more than 6 hours a day, you could be considered an addict. I may be a little addicted but the internet doesn't deter from meeting with friends, going out, jogging or walking and taking pictures.

I feel, however, that when I am online, the last thing I pay attentio to is translation. I check my emails and some forums and then I focus on translation. When I am busy, I always think that when I have some spare time, I will focus on reading on transla
... See more
I think I've read that if you spend more than 6 hours a day, you could be considered an addict. I may be a little addicted but the internet doesn't deter from meeting with friends, going out, jogging or walking and taking pictures.

I feel, however, that when I am online, the last thing I pay attentio to is translation. I check my emails and some forums and then I focus on translation. When I am busy, I always think that when I have some spare time, I will focus on reading on translation or working on my TMs or trying new translation software but I fail to do. I hope to get serious one day.

Tom in London wrote:

wxyz wrote:

Is anyone else having this problem?

No. I used to be addicted but I got over it. In the meantime you may want to visit this link:

http://tinyurl.com/bud4

haha
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is your internet addiction harming your work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »