Getting health insurance in the US for freelancers
Thread poster: maryblack
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
To any non-US residents reading this: Nov 18, 2010

If you get free or cheap healthcare from your government, never, ever take it for granted, and don't complain when things go wrong occasionally.

I came to the US from Britain three years ago, and the system here stinks. It's one of the worst things about living in this otherwise wonderful country. When they hear that I'm British, people sometimes say "but don't you have socialized medicine over there?", like "socialized" is a dirty word.

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I so agree Nov 18, 2010

philgoddard wrote:

If you get free or cheap healthcare from your government, never, ever take it for granted, and don't complain when things go wrong occasionally.

I came to the US from Britain three years ago, and the system here stinks. It's one of the worst things about living in this otherwise wonderful country. When they hear that I'm British, people sometimes say "but don't you have socialized medicine over there?", like "socialized" is a dirty word.

The system in Spain (and other European countries) is fabulous. You may have to wait, but in Spain everyone knows that if something goes really wrong, you want to be under the care of the public system because it's the most effective and efficient and the best-equipped.

To hear the claims here about the "evils" of "socialized" medicine makes me want to wring some necks. Frankly, I'm still in reverse culture shock at being in my own country and being left to the wolves, whereas in my adopted country, Spain, I was taken care of from Day 1. And people here thinking nothing of spending hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds) of dollars every month on health care (in a system that cares more about time and money than caring for humans), not realizing (I'm assuming) that it doesn't have to be that way. It's scary how medicine here - an eminently human field - is all business and little else. This could be the deal-breaker as to whether we stay or go back to Spain. In the supposedly most developed country in the world.
It's a shame (and I mean shame, embarrassment)!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:51
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sozialed medicine as it should be Nov 18, 2010

philgoddard wrote:

What if as a self-employed you pay about 2800 euros social security contributions and this covers all your medical expenses? In exchange, you are allowed access to an excellent (better than the NHS) top-notch health-care system. No waiting lists or queues, free choice of G.P. and hospital and a maximum invoice depending upon your income. If that is socialized medicine, I prefer that system instead of survival of the fittest. Get sick and get a bill of thousands of dollars. Greed is good, but not for the working-man.

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll take it!! Nov 18, 2010

What if as a self-employed you pay about 2800 euros social security contributions and this covers all your medical expenses? In exchange, you are allowed access to an excellent (better than the NHS) top-notch health-care system. No waiting lists or queues, free choice of G.P. and hospital and a maximum invoice depending upon your income. If that is socialized medicine, I prefer that system instead of survival of the fittest. Get sick and get a bill of thousands of dollars. Greed is good, but not for the working-man.

I want that system!!! Where is it?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:51
Flemish to English
+ ...
Benelux+Germany. Nov 20, 2010

Google "healthsystem"+"The Netherlands", "healthsystem+"Belgium", "healthsystem"+"Germany".

I don't know whether nowadays it is still possible to go on a wellness-week (mud-baths, massage, water-cures, evening-concerts) with the conscent of the employer and paid for the by the "Krankenkasse" (AOK) - health-insurance. When I lived in Germany, it was. The reasoning behind this is to have healthy productive workers. In the U.S., this would be unimaginable. If this is "sozialised medic
... See more
Google "healthsystem"+"The Netherlands", "healthsystem+"Belgium", "healthsystem"+"Germany".

I don't know whether nowadays it is still possible to go on a wellness-week (mud-baths, massage, water-cures, evening-concerts) with the conscent of the employer and paid for the by the "Krankenkasse" (AOK) - health-insurance. When I lived in Germany, it was. The reasoning behind this is to have healthy productive workers. In the U.S., this would be unimaginable. If this is "sozialised medicine", I prefer that to being insured at hefty rates and when I get sick in my liver, if I had a previous condition in my toe 10 years ago, the insurance will not pay me.

If i were to live in the U.S. on a green card, I would inquire in those countries if I can not remain insured by paying contributions in one of those countries.
The amount will be MUCH lower than in the U.S. and it is a small world nowadays.

[Edited at 2010-11-21 11:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting health insurance in the US for freelancers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »