Tai Fu
Tai Fu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 22, 2010

Hi

I finished a project with a software publisher (who doesn't outsource to agencies it seems) in Europe. I was told there are more projects the next day after the completion of the last job (which was about a month ago). However days turned into weeks, and week turned into a month, with promises from them that things would be ready "tomorrow or the day after" but then I hear nothing from them and was told that there would be a further delay week after week. I was told to be availab
... See more
Hi

I finished a project with a software publisher (who doesn't outsource to agencies it seems) in Europe. I was told there are more projects the next day after the completion of the last job (which was about a month ago). However days turned into weeks, and week turned into a month, with promises from them that things would be ready "tomorrow or the day after" but then I hear nothing from them and was told that there would be a further delay week after week. I was told to be available for them and as a result I have not looked for any long term projects (and I don't really want to bid on short projects, because I felt it's not worth the trouble to bid and only get a few dollars for the effort).

However it has been close to a month and still no work, being told that there will be further delays. I am starting to wonder if the project won't happen at all, or are delays like this common in the localization circle?

I have begun the process of respond to other long-term project requests since I am beginning to think that this project isn't going to happen after all. However I don't want to accept a project, and then suddenly the project I had been waiting on comes online and I am met with more workload than I can possibly do (while maintaining acceptable quality).

Any advise here?
Collapse

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 11:56
French to English
Tell them Sep 22, 2010

that if they want to retain your services, they will have to pay you a retainer. Otherwise, you will start accepting other projects and their work will go to the back of the queue.

It's that easy.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Until it's on your desk, you're not booked Sep 22, 2010

That's my principle. Unless you're being paid a retainer, you are under no obligation whatsoever to keep your time free for when this mythical project finally arrives. They can't "tell" you to do anything - assuming you're a freelancer and not their employee.

I suggest you get out there and look for other work. If this project comes in, negotiate a deadline based on what other work you already have confirmed.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Idem Sep 22, 2010

As others have indicated, learn this lesson: until you have the job in hand and a firm commitment (preferably in writing) from the client, you move ahead and put nothing else on hold. You should also tell the client that.

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 00:56
English
+ ...
tell them Oct 4, 2010

There is a Russian proverb that goes "better a sparrow in hand than a crane in the sky", meaning that you are better off with smaller jobs that definitely pay, than a promise of a fat project in the indefinite future.

I've been burned on many projects before, for very many reasons, and until I have the files and a firm "go ahead", I don't make any definite plans. Besides, if it's a large project and you are getting overloaded, you can outsource some work or team up with a couple of
... See more
There is a Russian proverb that goes "better a sparrow in hand than a crane in the sky", meaning that you are better off with smaller jobs that definitely pay, than a promise of a fat project in the indefinite future.

I've been burned on many projects before, for very many reasons, and until I have the files and a firm "go ahead", I don't make any definite plans. Besides, if it's a large project and you are getting overloaded, you can outsource some work or team up with a couple of colleagues.
Collapse

Tai Fu
Tai Fu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already bidding on other potential jobs Oct 4, 2010

Thanks for the advise... I am already bidding on other potential jobs. If this one does come around, then I will prioritize.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Persistant project delays

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »