http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLCaAu_H2U

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
French to English
Bit vague and woolly for my taste... Sep 9, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

http://vimeo.com/4671951

... and altho we're all adults here, it might be worth pointing out that it wouldn't get screened before 9 p.m. on TV in the UK and you might wanna think twice about hitting "play" if young kids are in earshot - unless they already know what a motherf***er is, in which case I guess there's no f***ing problem, is there?

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 17:43
German to English
OMG that's like totally ... Sep 10, 2010

"downyouthing" and stuff...

What happened to men in white lab coats?

[Edited at 2010-09-10 05:32 GMT]

And don't get me started on the "in my day we wore charcoal sacks to school" routine ...

[Edited at 2010-09-10 05:33 GMT]

To be fair, I haven't actually watched the whole thing, or even a quarter of it ... I baulked as soon as I saw the exuberant 19-year-old introducing the keynote speaker. Nothing against 19-year-olds, key note speakers or ex
... See more
"downyouthing" and stuff...

What happened to men in white lab coats?

[Edited at 2010-09-10 05:32 GMT]

And don't get me started on the "in my day we wore charcoal sacks to school" routine ...

[Edited at 2010-09-10 05:33 GMT]

To be fair, I haven't actually watched the whole thing, or even a quarter of it ... I baulked as soon as I saw the exuberant 19-year-old introducing the keynote speaker. Nothing against 19-year-olds, key note speakers or exuberance, but it's a combination that doesn't encourage me to take things seriously. I like my motivation with a splash of morosity ... and certainly not zany. It's probably just me.

[Edited at 2010-09-10 06:15 GMT]
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Lots of expletives and hot air... Sep 10, 2010

Yet another self-hyped Internet celebrity who says what little he has to say with lots of expletives and without offering anything radically different.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Awesome and motivational Sep 10, 2010

Two words guaranteed to bring me out in a rash.

And you can add - passion and staff development

Suzi

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Hear hear. Sep 10, 2010

Olaf wrote:

Yet another self-hyped Internet celebrity who says what little he has to say with lots of expletives and without offering anything radically different.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Ditto. Sep 10, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Suzi

Especially AWESOME. Added value also drives me crazy...

[Edited at 2010-09-10 16:23 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How big is it? Sep 10, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
http://vimeo.com/4671951

Somewhat off-topic, but... the video is 50 minutes long and is HD. I wonder how many megabytes that thing is...

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Not just you Sep 10, 2010

Damian Harrison wrote:
It's probably just me.

Nah, it ain't. My stomach started to heave at the very start, when he announced that he loved his family and waited for the applause. To the audience's credit, they seemed reluctant to play along with his cheesefest.

When he started on that bit about not knowing what he was looking for but knowing it when he saw it (I paraphrase, natch), and then proclaimed he had forecast how global Twitter would become when he first saw it (no evidence, of course, like a 4-year old video on youtube or anything), I simultaneously LOL'd and felt like punching him.

To be fair, I think I may have picked up a couple of points a) we should try to work smarter not harder and b) the internet will probably have more unexpected tricks up its sleeve (including killing TV, did I get that bit right?), but by all that is holy, that is one irritating, potty-mouthed smart-arse.

Bit like me, really, so perhaps I have been motivated - to post a video full of stating-the-bleeding-obvious as rudely as possible.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Passion Sep 10, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Suzi

Oh yes. How I hate and abhor the use of the word passion/passionate.

I was recently recruiting teachers for my language school, and while I explicitly advised people not to apply if they couldn't spell (didn't put them all off), I failed to warn them that anyone using the expression "passionate about teaching" would go straight in the bin.

Yours intolerantly....

PS Sorry to have gone off topic. And I couldn't even bring myself to open the link - self-help books have a similar effect. Is this age, the Atlantic divide, or what?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I managed 5 minutes Sep 10, 2010

Now I'm off to check out my DNA...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awesome Motivational Video

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »