Do you have a special Due Diligence procedure for your new clients?
Thread poster: Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:34
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2010

Dear All,

I will start working as a full-time freelancer soon and I will probably have more time to advertise my services and to get in contact with more potential new clients. Since the Internet business is not the most secure one, I would certainly need to apply a working scheme when contacting or being contacted by new clients. I know we have access to Blue Board entries, which are very helpful, but what if the company/the individual is not a translation agency and it is not reg
... See more
Dear All,

I will start working as a full-time freelancer soon and I will probably have more time to advertise my services and to get in contact with more potential new clients. Since the Internet business is not the most secure one, I would certainly need to apply a working scheme when contacting or being contacted by new clients. I know we have access to Blue Board entries, which are very helpful, but what if the company/the individual is not a translation agency and it is not registered in BB?

So I am wondering if you do practice to apply any kind of Due Diligence procedures before starting the collaboration with your new clients. Do you have any special KYC (Know Your Client) form? The Company where I am working right now has such a form and does not give any details before the new client sends the form (filled in and signed), along with contact person's passport or ID copy. Do you think such a procedure must be applied in translation business as well? Do you think that an agreement signed by both parts is enough? What if the "client" doesn't really exist?

Thank you in advance for sharing your opinion about it!

Veronica
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
No. Jul 21, 2010

There's not much you can do apart from checking BlueBook, and they're not going to be very pleased if you start asking them for proof of ID. You could ask for payment upfront if it's an individual, and it's important to set a credit limit so that you're not owed too much by one customer. But I don't think you need to get too worried: most people in this business are pretty honest. I've been translating for over 20 years, and only once have I had to write off a debt, which was someone who left th... See more
There's not much you can do apart from checking BlueBook, and they're not going to be very pleased if you start asking them for proof of ID. You could ask for payment upfront if it's an individual, and it's important to set a credit limit so that you're not owed too much by one customer. But I don't think you need to get too worried: most people in this business are pretty honest. I've been translating for over 20 years, and only once have I had to write off a debt, which was someone who left the country with a pile of unpaid bills and was untraceable.Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:34
English to Thai
+ ...
Proz.com Blue Boards Jul 22, 2010

To screen out potential non-paying agencies, I use Proz's Blue Boards to check for a new customer. Non-paying agency is a pain of my Internet based translation job.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I like ISO9001 certified direct clients Jul 22, 2010

We exchange just about everything - including our FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have a special Due Diligence procedure for your new clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »