Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access?
Thread poster: suirpwb (X)
suirpwb (X)
suirpwb (X)

Local time: 08:48
Spanish to German
+ ...
May 21, 2010

Hi

Imagine you are a free-lance translator and want to emigrate to an "idyllic" country or island in whatever part of the world, far away from civilization.

However, don't forget that you need a relatively fast Internet access for your work as a free-lance translator.

How can I find out where in the world I could settle down?

Thanks for your ideas or mentions of people who have managed to make their dreams come true.

If "paradise"
... See more
Hi

Imagine you are a free-lance translator and want to emigrate to an "idyllic" country or island in whatever part of the world, far away from civilization.

However, don't forget that you need a relatively fast Internet access for your work as a free-lance translator.

How can I find out where in the world I could settle down?

Thanks for your ideas or mentions of people who have managed to make their dreams come true.

If "paradise" is next door, please also let me know. By the way, I live in Spain (mainland).

bwprius
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Yo ho, it is a pirate's life for me... May 21, 2010

Paradise for me is:

Sunny weather 80% of the year and low taxes. Which islands fit that description: The Caribbean, in particular, the Cayman Islands (sunny, fiscal paradise with a 0-tax rate)? Yo ho, it's a pirate's life for me..no VAT, no tax, sunny weather and lots of work. Kind of like in the publicity for Trados... with a freelancer who wears sunglasses working on her laptop.

Cyprus is another island. Not a tax-paradise, but low taxes, reasonable VAT, sunny weath
... See more
Paradise for me is:

Sunny weather 80% of the year and low taxes. Which islands fit that description: The Caribbean, in particular, the Cayman Islands (sunny, fiscal paradise with a 0-tax rate)? Yo ho, it's a pirate's life for me..no VAT, no tax, sunny weather and lots of work. Kind of like in the publicity for Trados... with a freelancer who wears sunglasses working on her laptop.

Cyprus is another island. Not a tax-paradise, but low taxes, reasonable VAT, sunny weather...

Unfortunately, the cost of real estate in such places is rather expensive. Everybody wants a place under the sun without paying too much taxes and with rates offered on web portals for translators, it must remain a dream.

[Edited at 2010-05-21 11:27 GMT]
Collapse

Mathieu Isidro (X)
Mathieu Isidro (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:48
English to French
+ ...
beautiful islands... May 21, 2010

Hi!

I once met a Russian translator who worked in the oil business. He was in Spain on holidays, and was on his way to the south of France to get on his boat and sail the Mediterranean for two weeks. Corsica, Sicily, and Croatia. Not bad I guess...

I also saw a job advertisement for an interpreter position for the SPC (Secratariat of the Pacific Community). The person would be based in New Caledonia, travelling for assignments to Australia, Fidji, Vanuatu, Tahiti and o
... See more
Hi!

I once met a Russian translator who worked in the oil business. He was in Spain on holidays, and was on his way to the south of France to get on his boat and sail the Mediterranean for two weeks. Corsica, Sicily, and Croatia. Not bad I guess...

I also saw a job advertisement for an interpreter position for the SPC (Secratariat of the Pacific Community). The person would be based in New Caledonia, travelling for assignments to Australia, Fidji, Vanuatu, Tahiti and others.

I guess any of these places would be good!
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Idyllic, pleasant temperatures, fast internet... May 21, 2010

New Zealand has a lot going for it...

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
The British Isles May 21, 2010

I believe the UK has quite good internet access and they've had a lot of sun recently. The cuisine is mainly Mediterranean and Asian nowadays and I'm sure they could use additional tax revenues.

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:48
Danish to English
Easter Island May 21, 2010

Easter Island is a 5 hour flight from Santiago de Chile. I was there in October. There was internet wi-fi in my rented house. The day I arrived a received a translation job over the net. And then another. I was there ten days, and paid my airfare by working on translations.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Stuart May 21, 2010

Everybody in Poland knows all that.

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:48
English to Italian
+ ...
The Azores! May 21, 2010

I've been living and freelancing in the Azores for the last 3.5 years and I can wholeheartedly recommend it! Best months are spring and summer, as the winter and autumn periods tend to be quite rainy.
All 9 islands are really gorgeous and at least here in S. Miguel (but I guess this applies the the other islands too) the Internet works really fast (though you might feel a bit lonely living in Corvo...).
I used to have a really fast DSL connection via phone line but have now switched
... See more
I've been living and freelancing in the Azores for the last 3.5 years and I can wholeheartedly recommend it! Best months are spring and summer, as the winter and autumn periods tend to be quite rainy.
All 9 islands are really gorgeous and at least here in S. Miguel (but I guess this applies the the other islands too) the Internet works really fast (though you might feel a bit lonely living in Corvo...).
I used to have a really fast DSL connection via phone line but have now switched to a USB Internet pen and manage to download at up to 300 Kb/sec (peak speed). A 5 MB TM takes less than a minute to download.

Another perk is that here the income tax is much lower than in mainland Portugal... or Italy for that matter!

[Edited at 2010-05-21 14:57 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Fast" May 21, 2010

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD wrote:

I used to have a really fast DSL connection via phone line but have now switched to a USB Internet pen and manage to download at up to 300 Kb/sec (peak speed). A 5 MB TM takes less than a minute to download.

Another perk is that here the income tax is much lower than in mainland Portugal... or Italy for that matter!

Must be a nice place to live...
Just a note about the internet connection, though. 300Kb/sec is not fast, it's wretchedly slow for those who care about this sort of stuff. I'd say 1000Kb/sec and upwards is something you can call decent for a mobile connection, and 5000 and up is OK for cable.
I'd feel pretty miserable if my main net connection delivered 300 Kb/sec on average. It's acceptable, it's certainly sufficient to get (translation) work done, but far from good. I regularly download 300MB+ files for work and watch online videos, and when you're doing this sort of stuff, bandwidth does matter.

Anyway, I'd expect pretty much any city in any part of the world to provide a 300K-ish connection, so it really shouldn't limit choices. If you wanted to live in some remote village or a lonely house in the wilderness somewhere, you may have to start looking for satellite providers...

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 10:48
Turkish to English
+ ...
The eye of the beholder May 21, 2010

Williamson wrote:

yprus is another island. Not a tax-paradise, but low taxes, reasonable VAT, sunny weather...

[...]

[Edited at 2010-05-21 11:27 GMT] [/quote]

Idyllic-ness is obviously in the eye of the beholder. Cyprus is an attractive place to live in my view. I have the state telecom company's fastest broadband package at 100 mbps. There may well be faster services available from private competitors.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brazil May 21, 2010

Brazil has excellent weather and on the whole is still quite safe (except in big cities). One drawback, however, is that the taxes are the highest in the world. On the plus side, however, the Internet connections are quite good.

You mention you want somewhere far away from civilisation, and one place that springs to mind is Paquetá Island in Rio de Janeiro. It is part of the city of Rio and thus enjoys the telecommunications benefits of the city, yet is a 1-hour ferry boat ride awa
... See more
Brazil has excellent weather and on the whole is still quite safe (except in big cities). One drawback, however, is that the taxes are the highest in the world. On the plus side, however, the Internet connections are quite good.

You mention you want somewhere far away from civilisation, and one place that springs to mind is Paquetá Island in Rio de Janeiro. It is part of the city of Rio and thus enjoys the telecommunications benefits of the city, yet is a 1-hour ferry boat ride away, in the middle of Guanabara Bay. Cars are prohibited, except for service vehicles, and the island is small enough to explore on foot. I am not sure how easy it is to live there, however, as it is a preserved area.

While living in a peaceful location, the Marvellous City is only an hour away by ferry-boat. So you could easily pop over to Rio and its wonderful beaches for the day.

You may find out more at the following sites:

(in Portuguese): http://www.ilhadepaqueta.com.br/paqueta.htm

(video, pictures only): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s74GAMJ2QE
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Canary Islands May 21, 2010

Canary Islands, Hawai,

Does anybody knows something from las Malvinas/Faukland Islands?

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Azores May 21, 2010

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD wrote:

[Edited at 2010-05-21 14:32 GMT]

Agree, it's gorgeous, and never gets too hot. I've only been to São Miguel, but am hoping to visit again.

Another plus is the fact it's only a two hour flight from the mainland and the airline, SATA, has preferential rates for Azorean residents.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Cool May 21, 2010

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
Does anybody knows something from las Malvinas/Faukland Islands?

If you like your weather on the cool side – the maximum recorded temperature is just 26.1℃:

http://www.mherrera.org/temp.htm

though I think the winters are on the whole slightly milder than Western Europe. Maybe some natural gas supplies (if not oil) to keep warm soon!

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:48
English to Italian
+ ...
it's fast enough for me May 21, 2010

Must be a nice place to live...
Just a note about the internet connection, though. 300Kb/sec is not fast, it's wretchedly slow for those who care about this sort of stuff. I'd say 1000Kb/sec and upwards is something you can call decent for a mobile connection, and 5000 and up is OK for cable.
I'd feel pretty miserable if my main net connection delivered 300 Kb/sec on average. It's acceptable, it's certainly sufficient to get (translation) work done, but far from good. I regularly download 300MB+ files for work and watch online videos, and when you're doing this sort of stuff, bandwidth does matter.

Anyway, I'd expect pretty much any city in any part of the world to provide a 300K-ish connection, so it really shouldn't limit choices. If you wanted to live in some remote village or a lonely house in the wilderness somewhere, you may have to start looking for satellite providers...

I can assure you that I can watch video without any glitch at all with 300 Kb/sec so it's not a huge problem for me. I generally do not need to download massive files for work, certainly no bigger than 20 - 70 MB (the average size of my ftp downloads for work is actually less than that) and a USB pen works fast enough. A few days ago though I had to download a 700 MB video file for a voiceover script translation and it took just over one hour.
No complaint at all as far as I'm concerned!

[Edited at 2010-05-21 16:24 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »