Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access?
Thread poster: suirpwb (X)
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
German to Spanish
+ ...
Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access? May 21, 2010

bwprius wrote:

Hi

Imagine you are a free-lance translator and want to emigrate to an "idyllic" country or island in whatever part of the world, far away from civilization.

However, don't forget that you need a relatively fast Internet access for your work as a free-lance translator.

How can I find out where in the world I could settle down?

Thanks for your ideas or mentions of people who have managed to make their dreams come true.

If "paradise" is next door, please also let me know. By the way, I live in Spain (mainland).

bwprius

Fakaofo in Tokelau. It seems that most options will locate you in Australia, New Zealand or the Polynesian Islands...

[Editado a las 2010-05-21 16:37 GMT]

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Go to Australia! May 21, 2010

It's a beautiful big island country. I have been there twice, but in cities such as Sydney and Canberra you will have winters of around 9 ºC. If you like sun, better stay in the Northern Territory area, with temperatures ranging from 23ºC - 32ºC. You can live near a beach, a national park or hot springs. There are several small towns that you may check, if you want to be "far away from civilization", and you may travel every now and then to Darwin, its capital, for some entertainment.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
The Palm May 21, 2010

The Palm before the Dubai-coast, but that is expensive too. 0% taxes, hot in summer (40°-45°degrees celcius minimum and 30° in winter).

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hawaii May 21, 2010

That's where I live and work

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Add a question... May 21, 2010

bwprius wrote:
Imagine you are a free-lance translator and want to emigrate to an "idyllic" country or island in whatever part of the world, far away from civilization. ... However, don't forget that you need a relatively fast Internet access for your work as a free-lance translator.

Don't forget that it should be a place one can easily emigrate to. It's no good you say "New Zealand" if you can't get a residence permit.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Belize May 21, 2010

Been here since last year and the country probably has what you are looking for climate-wise.
However, fast internet is hard to find here and if you find it, it is more expensive than in Europa and North America. I have a 512 kB connection for which I pay 100$ US.
Satellite-based Hughesnet from the States might be an option, but the downside of this solution is fair access policy with a daily download limit.

One advantage: Staying here long term is pretty straight forw
... See more
Been here since last year and the country probably has what you are looking for climate-wise.
However, fast internet is hard to find here and if you find it, it is more expensive than in Europa and North America. I have a 512 kB connection for which I pay 100$ US.
Satellite-based Hughesnet from the States might be an option, but the downside of this solution is fair access policy with a daily download limit.

One advantage: Staying here long term is pretty straight forward. You come as a tourist and - depending on your plans - you can actually stay as long as you like, either by extending your tourist card (by paying a fee) or by applying for permanent residency (the latter of which involving some red tape).
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Why not Spain??? May 21, 2010

You are already there, the weather is sunny, the Ocean is there, the mountains are there, the internet is there! why on earth do you want to leave???? I am sure you can find in Spain some "forgotten" places and still feel like home.

For me hot weather is not good at all. I am currently in Cyprus (low taxes indeed), but I miss the rains and the winter and the bad weather...

So I would vote for Iceland, probably...
See more
You are already there, the weather is sunny, the Ocean is there, the mountains are there, the internet is there! why on earth do you want to leave???? I am sure you can find in Spain some "forgotten" places and still feel like home.

For me hot weather is not good at all. I am currently in Cyprus (low taxes indeed), but I miss the rains and the winter and the bad weather...

So I would vote for Iceland, probably
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
hich idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access? May 21, 2010

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

So I would vote for Iceland, probably

¿Spain? I am sorry, but living in Spain today is anything, but idilic.
An erratic government, five million unemployed people, an unprecedented economic recession, a continuing increasing tax pressure, an impoverished population...
Is this your idea of idyllic?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate post.
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, I understand that this thread is mainly off-topic even if not advertised as such May 21, 2010

Have those of you looking for low/no tax destinations (yes, Williamson, you're included in my reference) considered which "free" services you're happy to dispense with?

"Free" education for your children, "free" healthcare, "free" collection of rubbish, "free" police to protect you, "free" firemen to turn up when your house/business premises are on fire, etc.

There was an interesting paid-for supplement to The Guardian today called something like "best businesses in Eu
... See more
Have those of you looking for low/no tax destinations (yes, Williamson, you're included in my reference) considered which "free" services you're happy to dispense with?

"Free" education for your children, "free" healthcare, "free" collection of rubbish, "free" police to protect you, "free" firemen to turn up when your house/business premises are on fire, etc.

There was an interesting paid-for supplement to The Guardian today called something like "best businesses in Europe". The map on the centre spread was very informative; companies operating in countries with high taxation and a generous attitude to labour relations appeared to have the happiest employees. Out of 50 "good" employers in Europe, the UK scored 7% whereas Denmark, currently top of the list of highest total tax level, scored 14%. Considering that the UK has a population of 60+ million and Denmark just under 5.5, it made for very interesting reading.

But back to the question, my money is on Belize. It's got good weather and if it's good enough for Lord Ashcroft - "he liked the country so much he bought it" - it's good enough for me.
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access? May 21, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

An erratic government, five million unemployed people, an unprecedented economic recession, a continuing increasing tax pressure, an impoverished population...

Edited. Please, delete!!

[Editado a las 2010-05-21 19:52 GMT]

The topic starter asked about a country/island where he could be far away from civilization and have fast internet. I just ignored all other aspects and imagined Spain, a country with a beautiful nature. And everybody else first considered nature when answering to this post.

My country of origin is Moldova (i.e. the poorest country in Europe, ex-soviet country, communist country until last year etc.) Believe me that I understand perfectly how is to not have what you need to have when you need it the most. So my point was not to discuss governmental and economic problems of Spain (everybody does it anyway currently).

But if the question containing the word "paradise" refers to a tax paradise/heaven and not to a natural paradise (it was not specified in the question), then I would say Cyprus. Especially for you, EU citizens. I am not an EU citizen and everything is 12 times harder for us. But you could simply move in another EU country, work under the same common law, pay your social contributions in any EU country and then transfer them in any other country. You don't need VISA for all that and don't need 6 months of waiting to get one, like I did. So why not to move to Cyprus? To pay those tiny taxes only for invoicing Cyprus Companies and to pay 0 taxes for invoicing any company from any other country in the world? Perfect for freelancers!!!

So I think I answered to "both" questions already ja?

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Edited. Please, delete!!

[Editado a las 2010-05-21 19:52 GMT]

The topic starter asked about a country/island where he could be far away from civilization and have fast internet. I just ignored all other aspects and imagined Spain, a country with a beautiful nature. And everybody else first considered nature when answering to this post.

My country of origin is Moldova (i.e. the poorest country in Europe, ex-soviet country, communist country until last year etc.) Believe me that I understand perfectly how is to not have what you need to have when you need it the most. So my point was not to discuss governmental and economic problems of Spain (everybody does it anyway currently).

But if the question containing the word "paradise" refers to a tax paradise/heaven and not to a natural paradise (it was not specified in the question), then I would say Cyprus. Especially for you, EU citizens. I am not an EU citizen and everything is 12 times harder for us. But you could simply move in another EU country, work under the same common law, pay your social contributions in any EU country and then transfer them in any other country. You don't need VISA for all that and don't need 6 months of waiting to get one, like I did. So why not to move to Cyprus? To pay those tiny taxes only for invoicing Cyprus Companies and to pay 0 taxes for invoicing any company from any other country in the world? Perfect for freelancers!!!

So I think I answered to "both" questions already ja?

Jawohl, Frau Lupascu !

@Veronica: I not intended to offend, nor to make any comparison. Although, I recognize that at the bottom I was comparing today's Spain with the Spain of the '70s, where we were a true paradise. As a Spaniard myself, I can imagine why the topic starter would like to look for such destination. If I had 10 years less, I would left Spain today without any hesitation. But, all my life is now here...

About the poverty you mention and without any intention to make a comparison, I knew it well although I acknowledge that thanks God I have never need to experience. From very young, I have been one of the rare Spaniards that traveled to Franco's time to the communist countries, including the German Democratic Republic ( to the Leipziger fair ) and have seen the long queues that were made to buy half a carrot, half a celery and half a turnip to make a soup. And have seen how many people bursted into tears to have been the last arrived in the queue, right after vegetables exhausted.

While we swam here in the abundance...

[Editado a las 2010-05-22 20:18 GMT]

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
You mean... May 22, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Everybody in Poland knows all that.

...there are still people in Poland? They aren't all here already? It just feels like it. I read recently though that the rest of the EU are about to remove the barriers to immigration for recent EU members so maybe the Poles will discover another "idyll".

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:54
Turkish to English
+ ...
Millionaires' playground May 22, 2010

Williamson wrote:

The Palm before the Dubai-coast, but that is expensive too. 0% taxes, hot in summer (40°-45°degrees celcius minimum and 30° in winter).

I thought that was a millionares' playground?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three responses May 22, 2010

Stuart Dowell wrote:
I believe the UK has quite good internet access and they've had a lot of sun recently. The cuisine is mainly Mediterranean...

When the British say "we've had a lot of sun", they mean it relatively speaking, surely. Compare the annual hours of sunshine between Auckland (New Zealand) and the UK:

Auckland, NZ: 2000 hours
London, UK: 1500 hours
Edinburgh, UK: 1300 hours

And while the food may be mediterranean, the weather certainly isn't

The OP said "idyllic", which to me means beautiful and with climate that allows one to appreciate the beauty. If that's the definition of idyllic, then I suppose many of the more remote areas of Scotland would be a match, although it certainly aint "sunny".

Brian Young wrote:
Easter Island is a 5 hour flight from Santiago de Chile. I was there in October. There was internet wi-fi in my rented house.

The permanent population of Easter Island is 4000 people, with a population density of 23 people per square km. 50 000 tourists visit the island every year. It's a sunny place to be, but it may also be quite windy.

I think finding property there will be a problem, so you'll have to stay in a guest house permanently. That'll cost you about EUR 2000 per month for a single room, and you'd have to eat at restaurants for all your meals. If you want to live there permanently, you'd have to emigrate to Chile.

Gianluigi Desogus wrote:
I've been living and freelancing in the Azores for the last 3.5 years and I can wholeheartedly recommend it! Best months are spring and summer, as the winter and autumn periods tend to be quite rainy.

Hmm, this give me an idea: why not look at all the islands owned by the EU?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_the_European_Union

[Edited at 2010-05-22 07:50 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which idyllic country/island in the world does have fast Internet access?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »