VAT in Austria and Business Formation in the US
Thread poster: k-schwendtner
k-schwendtner
k-schwendtner
United States
German to English
May 19, 2010

I work as a freelance translator (German to English) for direct clients only.

Do I need to form a business entity, such as an LCC. in order to do that legally?

All my clients are based in Austria, where generally 20% VAT is charged. Do I have to charge that to them, as a US translator?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
German to English
The short answer is "No" May 19, 2010

Your invoice should indicate the country of origin as well as a pertinent reference to the Austrian commercial code exempting your services as a foreign (non-EU) provider from VAT.

[Edited at 2010-05-19 21:31 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
German to English
+ ...
Business entity May 19, 2010

You can choose whether you would like to operate as a sole proprietor, S-corp, etc. Check with an accountant about the tax implications, reporting requirements, etc.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 07:37
Member (2011)
English to German
Just curious... Aug 19, 2012

k-schwendtner wrote:

I work as a freelance translator (German to English) for direct clients only.

Do I need to form a business entity, such as an LCC. in order to do that legally?

All my clients are based in Austria, where generally 20% VAT is charged. Do I have to charge that to them, as a US translator?

What have you done in the meantime? Have you established a LLC?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT in Austria and Business Formation in the US

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »