David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:07
Member (2006)
English to French
Dec 15, 2009

Sharing Data Across Companies...

SDL a launching a blog about sharing translated data across companies...

The idea is to collect your translated data and share it among different companies "to help them leverage from your data and vice-versa".

Copyright

As soon as you will send your translations to "other companies", SDL will compile them, make a TM and produce its own automatic translation software. Every year, your Microsoft software will be
... See more
Sharing Data Across Companies...

SDL a launching a blog about sharing translated data across companies...

The idea is to collect your translated data and share it among different companies "to help them leverage from your data and vice-versa".

Copyright

As soon as you will send your translations to "other companies", SDL will compile them, make a TM and produce its own automatic translation software. Every year, your Microsoft software will be equiped with a better automatic translation software and in 10 years time, you will be out of work.
Your translation is protected unless you relinquish the rights to the company you work for (by means of an agreement). If you let anyone tell you otherwise, the chances are that you may be out of work in a couple of years.

Trusts

There are laws against trusts (which happens among companies who "get together" to form a bigger company. With SDL's idea, what you're doing is illegal.

D. MAROTE

[Edited at 2009-12-15 08:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-15 08:14 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:07
French to German
+ ...
Illegal? Dec 15, 2009

David MAROTE wrote:

There are laws against trusts (which happens among companies who "get together" to form a bigger company. With SDL's idea, what you're doing is illegal.

D. MAROTE

Hi David,
thanks for your contribution first and foremost. While I have no clue about the legal aspects of "sharing data across companies" (there certainly are some, and not of the light variant), I would like to point to the fact that this "sharing" is one of the main principles of TAUS, see http://www.translationautomation.com/ (of which some major LSP's are members AFAIAK).
From my point of view, sharing translated data is the same as "contributing a better translation" to whom you know.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 12:16 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
MT is our friend Dec 15, 2009

Mt is here to stay, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Why?

Because the huge amount of information in the world needs translating. Just think about the web, people in China want to be able to read English Websites and people in Ghana want to be able to read German websites (OK maybe silly examples but you get my point). There are simply not enough translators in the world to deal with the amount of information that needs translating, if we rely on humans the infor
... See more

Why?

Because the huge amount of information in the world needs translating. Just think about the web, people in China want to be able to read English Websites and people in Ghana want to be able to read German websites (OK maybe silly examples but you get my point). There are simply not enough translators in the world to deal with the amount of information that needs translating, if we rely on humans the information would never get translated, by the time one person had finished 1000 words there would be 1000000 new ones to deal with. There are just not enough human translators.

Companies and the world need MT, this has been discussed in many posts and articles not just on Proz but on many other sites and blogs. Google wants to make the all the web accessible to all the world (it is one of there stated aims) and they will continue to develop GT.

You have to change your mindset and embrace MT, use it in your favor. Take advantage of Google Translate it does make some big silly mistakes but it can also be incredibly accurate and save you a ton of time, I use GT whenever I am doing anything that is not confidential (for example now I am translating some Spanish Official Government Bulletin texts and GT works great and saves me lots of time).

Embrace MT cause it is here to stay, you need to learn about and use it to your advantage.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MT does not mean violating customer privacy Dec 15, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:

Sorry Alex, but I don't see how MT is related to violating our customers' copyright and privacy! That should be our main consideration in this matter.

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
EMBRACE YOUR STATUS Dec 15, 2009

The future is human translation.
There is a difference between embracing technology and allowing your work to be used without compensation.
You devote your time and effort to enhance your status not the contrary.
The future of the profession is your responsibility. Blinkered views about technology are dangerous, but it's not about technology here, it's about respect.

Inviting translators to share their TMs with companies they don't even know is a no-no. It just do
... See more
The future is human translation.
There is a difference between embracing technology and allowing your work to be used without compensation.
The future of the profession is your responsibility. Blinkered views about technology are dangerous, but it's not about technology here, it's about respect.

Inviting translators to share their TMs with companies they don't even know is a no-no. It just doesn't add up.

Allowing companies to use your TM to replace you in the future is a non sense.

I don't think you understood what I meant.

I advise every translator to start thinking about the future of the profession
and be critical about their work.

Technology serves your purpose and does not direct it.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Conspiracy theories Dec 15, 2009

It would have been a bit more helpful if you spent the time you devoted to invoking antitrust legislation to providing a link to said blog entry instead. Then we would have some information about whether SDL is indeed getting access to the TMs through this scheme.

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CONSPIRACY THEORIES Dec 15, 2009

Have you ever been asked to work on an Automatic Translation software?

Neither have I and why?

I actually translated a programme on the BBC into English called 'conspiracy theories' around Lady Diana's death (which was an accident), and the moral is
there's no smoke without fire.

You have been contributing to automatic translation software and you don't know it.

But again this thread is NOT about automatic versus human translations, it's
... See more

Neither have I and why?

I actually translated a programme on the BBC into English called 'conspiracy theories' around Lady Diana's death (which was an accident), and the moral is

You have been contributing to automatic translation software and you don't know it.

But again this thread is NOT about automatic versus human translations, it's about preserving copyright and intellectual rights. It's working responsibly and with a view to avoid larger companies to take advantage of your work.

The link has been sent to companies and that's why I won't post it here.

In other words, the Translation software company mentioned is threatening translators'very interests.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Please visit the site Dec 15, 2009

to which the link in my previous post points to.

And David, please correct me if I am wrong.

FarkasAndras wrote:

It would have been a bit more helpful if you spent the time you devoted to invoking antitrust legislation to providing a link to said blog entry instead. Then we would have some information about whether SDL is indeed getting access to the TMs through this scheme.

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
YOU'RE RIGHT LAURENT, WE'RE WRONG Dec 15, 2009

Yes Laurent,

I visited the link and it's quite easy with the right equipement to upload a TM, make a server translation memory and the next thing you know you can translate automatically your document using your TM among others.

What the company mentioned aims to do is to "legalise" it with the ascent of translators.

I will mention this to the Linguists Institute to which I belong to see if I've lost the thread somewhere and didn't know I was cont
... See more
Yes Laurent,

I visited the link and it's quite easy with the right equipement to upload a TM, make a server translation memory and the next thing you know you can translate automatically your document using your TM among others.

What the company mentioned aims to do is to "legalise" it with the ascent of translators.

I will mention this to the Linguists Institute to which I belong to see if I've lost the thread somewhere and didn't know I was contributing to automatic translation.

Thanks for your comments, I will try and answer them individually,

Remember not to quote SDL too much. Otherwise it might get crushed.
This post if mainly for reflection and doesn't aim at anyone in particular.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Setting a few things straight Dec 15, 2009

David MAROTE wrote:

Neither have I and why?

I haven't, because I am not a computer programmer. I fail to see your point here. Do tell me why you think MT companies are not inviting us to participate. I think it's because they need programmers, linguists and translations. We supply the third but they don't need to hire us for that.

David MAROTE wrote:

So do you think Elvis is alive, the H1N1 vaccine contains a chip, the malaria vaccine gives you AIDS and we've never been to the Moon?

David MAROTE wrote:

I know I probably have and I'm glad about that.

In the end, I broke down and clicked the link in SDL's mail myself (I didn't want to because it was some shady redirect address... they'll probably send me more spam now). Anyway, http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2009/12/sharing-data-across-companies.html is remarkably vague. It just states empty generalities about the advantages of sharing TMs and mentions no concrete system for doing it. I highly doubt SDL is scheming to get our translations. Here, they don't give us a way to send them TMs even if we wanted to. It seems to be just a pitch to companies to rely more heavily on CATs, and here we are crying a river about IP theft and trusts.

By the way, David, if you think that the material at http://blog.sdl.com/blog/ is super secret, think again.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 12:35 GMT]

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
NO MARKETING IS SECRET Dec 15, 2009

I doubt anyone could not see the aim here.
I suppose someone has to centralize TMs and manage them before sharing them to companies.

But no worries, let people organize it for you.

Who knows, maybe they'll come and collect TMs on a sledge...

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
English to French
+ ...
How dare you Dec 15, 2009

Showing your concerns about TMs?

Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How could we stop this process? Dec 15, 2009

Dear Mr David,

I do agree with you, in a near future, technologies may drastically redure general need to use human workforce in translation industry. TMs and tools will be always more sophisticated and they may either allow translation with no great human effort or (in a faraway future) produce a "standard" translation with no human contribution.
Can we really stop this process? Even if all translators would say "NO you cannot use my TM" because I have copyright on it, the am
... See more
Dear Mr David,

I do agree with you, in a near future, technologies may drastically redure general need to use human workforce in translation industry. TMs and tools will be always more sophisticated and they may either allow translation with no great human effort or (in a faraway future) produce a "standard" translation with no human contribution.
Can we really stop this process? Even if all translators would say "NO you cannot use my TM" because I have copyright on it, the amount of translated texts (think about libraries) is so big that may not even ask or need our consent.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 20:00 GMT]
Collapse

David MAROTE
David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CONSENT IS THE WATCHWORD Dec 15, 2009

Elvira Bianco wrote:

Dear Mr David,

Can we really stop this process? Even if all translators would say "NO you cannot use my TM" because I have copywrite on it, the amount of translated texts (think about libraries) is so big that may not even ask or need our consent.

Consent is the issue here, I think it's down to each translator to manage their own TM when dealing with companies and restrict access using the copyright function with those 'one-off' companies. On the other hand, I think Linguists' Institute have a say on the issue of copyright. There's always been a copyright on a work created, as part of a project, whatever it is unless there's a transfer. But a company selling your TM to a third-party is possible. It's just the way the company referred to actually market the idea of collecting translated work that sounds out of line...

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Dec 15, 2009

I fully agree with you on this:

David MAROTE wrote:

The future of the profession is your responsibility. (...)

Inviting translators to share their TMs with companies they don't even know is a no-no. It just doesn't add up.

Allowing companies to use your TM to replace you in the future is a non sense.

I often feel that we are checkmating ourselves, but that's just my opinion.

Andrea

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing your translated data across companies

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »