I\'d like to hear your views - kudoz answering policy
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:44
English to Spanish
I guess some people don't go out much Feb 2, 2002

Here we go again. You enter a forum with the intention of giving your (you hope, constructive) opinion about something, and the moment you put your foot on the door you realize that there are chairs flying from one side to the other, tables turned over, whisky bottles smashed and the bartender cowering behind the counter.

One should expect better behavior from allegedly grownup professionals, instead of all this bullying, whining and gossiping. It is utterly disgusting. I\'m
... See more
Here we go again. You enter a forum with the intention of giving your (you hope, constructive) opinion about something, and the moment you put your foot on the door you realize that there are chairs flying from one side to the other, tables turned over, whisky bottles smashed and the bartender cowering behind the counter.

One should expect better behavior from allegedly grownup professionals, instead of all this bullying, whining and gossiping. It is utterly disgusting. I\'m outta here. Saloon brawls always make me sick.

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:44
German to English
Dirtballs Feb 2, 2002

Sometimes people are dirtballs (completely useless) because they *ask* too many KudoZ questions. Sometimes they are dirtballs because they *answer* too many questions. Sometimes people are dirtballs because they haven\'t updated their profiles. I\'m sure there will be many more reasons to seek out and attempt to destroy ProZ colleagues. Haven\'t we all had enough of this horrible business? As Joseph Welch said to Joe McCarthy during the communist witch-hunt investigations in the US, \"Have you n... See more
Sometimes people are dirtballs (completely useless) because they *ask* too many KudoZ questions. Sometimes they are dirtballs because they *answer* too many questions. Sometimes people are dirtballs because they haven\'t updated their profiles. I\'m sure there will be many more reasons to seek out and attempt to destroy ProZ colleagues. Haven\'t we all had enough of this horrible business? As Joseph Welch said to Joe McCarthy during the communist witch-hunt investigations in the US, \"Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?\"

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-02 22:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-02 22:59 ]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Standard Settings Feb 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 18:52, Bertha wrote:

I find myself wondering what to do.

Here is a \"case\":

1) An asker presents a whole poem of over 60 words.

2) Answerer number 1 answers and translates only the title and tells the asker that he/she is not going to translate the whole poem.

5) The third answerer gets 4 points.

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-31 18:52, Bertha wrote:

I find myself wondering what to do.

Here is a \"case\":

1) An asker presents a whole poem of over 60 words.

2) Answerer number 1 answers and translates only the title and tells the asker that he/she is not going to translate the whole poem.

5) The third answerer gets 4 points.

Hi,

Generally speaking, this is the way it works ) if the latter questions aren\'t squashed or someone complains directly or informs the SC\'s moderator (he/she might haven\'t noticed what was going on) about what he/she thinks could be or is (a sort of) abuse.

Sad reality, but you can read in the notes about how to grade answers something like \"4pt. for the more detailed answer\", can\'t you?

(My policy: \"answerer no. 1\" with a slight difference: I would politely suggest to post it as a job)

As far as my SCs are concerned, we managed to develop a different approach:

a) a long text is posted:

answerer no. 1 proposes to post the whole text as a job, as the KudoZ area is only for comprehension help or for the translation of a few words. Normally, at least 4/5 colleagues add their agrees. Problem solved, no one would try to offer any help.

b) many questions for the same text

b1) posted by non-prozies:

as soon as someone understands a complete text has been posted sentence by sentence in several questions (normally, it takes a while to understand this, because sentences are not posted according to the chronological order of the original text and even some technical texts include some \"general prose\" or you don\'t check all posted questions), answerer no. 1 of n-question offers little help and politely complains about the pretty high number of posted questions. Some colleagues add their agrees immediately. One/two colleagues offer the same little help, but the poster chooses of course answer no. 2 or 3. ;D No comment from poster. (It happened only once, that a poster excused herself - she was a student in panic).

b2) posted by prozies:

at the beginning: big help offered;

after realizing: almost no help. Someone might ask whever the text is still very long, BUT there\'s always someone translating the whole (or almost the whole sentence), normally \"little active\" KudoZ-scorers for that pair.

I can tell only about my language pairs, but as far as they are concerned, active colleagues are never like answerer no. 4 in your example, but little active ones are very likely to be no. 4 (as to comprehension: I am NOT saying ALL of them are like no. 4, only that SOME of them are LIKELY to be so, please, do not misunderstand me!).

My two cents to KudoZ leaders: I know a couple of them and they are leaders only thanks to their answers in their few working pairs. Some people might have a high number of KudoZ points, but if I see that they have 20 points here, 5 there, a hundred here, ect. for a total of an x-number of language pairs, I can\'t say whether they are really competent or not. Actually, when I see too many languages in a profile (a part from some cases, when a colleague works with other ones under a singles profile), I think it is not professional, but this is my OWN opinion, not an accuse.

Cheers,

Giuliana

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Double Entertainment... Feb 2, 2002

I think there are a lot of people out there who like Kudoz for more reasons than gaining points. A true translator loves the challenge of searching and finding - it gives a personal satisfaction and in the case of Kudoz provides the additional satisfaction of being able to help others, returning a favour. Often, as Bertha says, it’s a form of distraction from your work. It should be taken and used as it was meant to – a tool to ask for and give help and something which you enjoy. If the syst... See more
I think there are a lot of people out there who like Kudoz for more reasons than gaining points. A true translator loves the challenge of searching and finding - it gives a personal satisfaction and in the case of Kudoz provides the additional satisfaction of being able to help others, returning a favour. Often, as Bertha says, it’s a form of distraction from your work. It should be taken and used as it was meant to – a tool to ask for and give help and something which you enjoy. If the system is being abused, then something should actually be DONE about it. Personally, Proz provides me with two forms of entertainment – answering or simply reading Kudoz queries and reading the personal attacks in the forums! As far as I can see, there is a need for a new forum category called ‘getting personal’ – this would help people get things off their chests, free up the forum for ‘real issues’ and provide an additional form of entertainment for us poor souls who need a distraction when there are no KudoZ up or anything worth watching on the telly…!
[addsig]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I totally agree with you, Giuliana Feb 2, 2002

I refrained from giving my own opinion, because I really wanted to hear all of you giving yours.

In fact, in this \"case\" I was answerer number one, and I did exactly what you suggest answerer number one would do. Not everybody seems to appreciate that, though.

Just to check the \"case\" out, here is the link: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/141301?keyword=brisa
... See more
I refrained from giving my own opinion, because I really wanted to hear all of you giving yours.

In fact, in this \"case\" I was answerer number one, and I did exactly what you suggest answerer number one would do. Not everybody seems to appreciate that, though.

Just to check the \"case\" out, here is the link: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/141301?keyword=brisa

I was not looking for KudoZ, as you can see.

Regards,

B
Collapse

VBaby
VBaby
Local time: 11:44
English to French
+ ...
Something terrible Feb 2, 2002

Something terrible has happened to me these past few days. I have become so absorbed reading this forum about KudoZ that... I have had no time left to answer KudoZ questions and now I\'m dangerously losing ground in the rankings!!

Could this be another cunning trick from the \"Kudoz leaders\" -- to make these forums so riveting, entertaining and intellectually challenging that ordinary members don\'t even look at the questions any more? Stranger things have been alleged on t
... See more
Something terrible has happened to me these past few days. I have become so absorbed reading this forum about KudoZ that... I have had no time left to answer KudoZ questions and now I\'m dangerously losing ground in the rankings!!

Could this be another cunning trick from the \"Kudoz leaders\" -- to make these forums so riveting, entertaining and intellectually challenging that ordinary members don\'t even look at the questions any more? Stranger things have been alleged on these pages.

Regarding the question that started it all, I agree with Laura\'s first answer -- let\'s not worry about it. But thanks to all who worry about it for the good harmless fun of the past three days.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:44
SITE FOUNDER
closing up Feb 3, 2002

and on that note...

The Saloon\'s closed for the day.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I\'d like to hear your views - kudoz answering policy

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »