Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2008

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding voice-over in general:

- Besides the voice-over services offered directly in a recording studio, some colleagues offer these services from home with certain hardware and software. Does anyone recommend any software/hardware specifically for that purpose?

- Is it worthwhile purchasing this software and equipment? I have done some voice-over before and I have always been asked to go directly to the recording
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding voice-over in general:

- Besides the voice-over services offered directly in a recording studio, some colleagues offer these services from home with certain hardware and software. Does anyone recommend any software/hardware specifically for that purpose?

- Is it worthwhile purchasing this software and equipment? I have done some voice-over before and I have always been asked to go directly to the recording studio.

Thousand thanks in advance for your help!

Estefanía
Collapse

Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 03:09
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Sound Forge Oct 17, 2008

Besides the voice-over services offered directly in a recording studio, some colleagues offer these services from home with certain hardware and software. Does anyone recommend any software/hardware specifically for that purpose?

You can find some infor for this software:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp

... See more
Besides the voice-over services offered directly in a recording studio, some colleagues offer these services from home with certain hardware and software. Does anyone recommend any software/hardware specifically for that purpose?

You can find some infor for this software:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp

Is it worthwhile purchasing this software and equipment? I have done some voice-over before and I have always been asked to go directly to the recording studio.

It depends on how big of voice-over projects you often have. I sometimes have small voice-over projects so I go to recording studio.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other things to consider Oct 17, 2008

Beyond hardware and software, you have to consider soundproofing.

Are you in a noisy area?

Though I'm not a voice talent, and live about five blocks from one of South America's leading business neighborhoods http://tinyurl.com/5go6x2, that's not the main problem. There are just too many kiskadees, rufous-bellied (the loudest) thrushes, and parakeets around here that would compromise a
... See more
Beyond hardware and software, you have to consider soundproofing.

Are you in a noisy area?

Though I'm not a voice talent, and live about five blocks from one of South America's leading business neighborhoods http://tinyurl.com/5go6x2, that's not the main problem. There are just too many kiskadees, rufous-bellied (the loudest) thrushes, and parakeets around here that would compromise any recording.

So before you invest in the equipment/software side of it, check your environment for sound. Soundproofing may be expensive.
Collapse

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 17:09
French to English
+ ...
soundproofing is relative Jul 16, 2009

I disagree that one always needs to invest in soundproofing. In fact, you only need to do this if you are in an extremely noisy area and/or you have stringent output requirements. I have recorded voice-overs in a regular office and one home office without soundproofing, using a professional mike. The directional mike will eliminate a lot of the noise. My recordings were used for digital products, not for broadcast, so my comment applies to this type of product. I was working as the talent direc... See more
I disagree that one always needs to invest in soundproofing. In fact, you only need to do this if you are in an extremely noisy area and/or you have stringent output requirements. I have recorded voice-overs in a regular office and one home office without soundproofing, using a professional mike. The directional mike will eliminate a lot of the noise. My recordings were used for digital products, not for broadcast, so my comment applies to this type of product. I was working as the talent director, so I kept an ear out for any noise. Occasionally, we would redo a short bit, just to make sure some that haphazard street noise that seemed loud didn't ruin the take.

All and all, if you are in a reasonably developed urban environment, you should not have a problem finding a nice little studio who will charge just a little per hour. Unless you are planning to do a lot of voice-over, this would be very convenient. A lot of semi-pro musicians have set up recording equipment in their "basements" and can record CD-quality audio. It's all a question of finding them. And, obviously, you can always buy your own. Just with any other equipment setup, there are many choices to make, so the best is to go to a specialized store, find an audio pro to talk to, or a musician.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A couple of general questions regarding voice-over

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »