Jan 21, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 16:45 ]

Rachel Gruenberger-Elbaz
Rachel Gruenberger-Elbaz
Local time: 15:46
Hebrew to German
+ ...
"Chuzpe" Jan 22, 2002

To ask you to do three complete translations is what we call a \"chuzpeh\" in Yiddish... schlicht eine Frechheit. We had similar cases in Israel recently, and discovered, that the client just split his \"samples\" between various translators and thus got the whole translation for free. The maximum for a sample should be one page (200 words or 1500 characters). In this specific case I would just refuse, and offer them samples from other translations you have done which are sim... See more
To ask you to do three complete translations is what we call a \"chuzpeh\" in Yiddish... schlicht eine Frechheit. We had similar cases in Israel recently, and discovered, that the client just split his \"samples\" between various translators and thus got the whole translation for free. The maximum for a sample should be one page (200 words or 1500 characters). In this specific case I would just refuse, and offer them samples from other translations you have done which are similar. Be tough with clients and good luck!

R.G.
Collapse

RSmith
RSmith
France
Local time: 14:46
French to English
+ ...
excessive test translations Jan 22, 2002

Hello,

I think this point was raised fairly recently- I\'ve had a similar experience with an agency recently too and I ended up calling them and politely pointing out that in general, test translations are between 200-300 words - they\'d sent me three files totalling over 2000 words!!! They put it down to a mistake on their part - although it did occur to me that it could have been a \"free\" translation for a client....

Anyway, in general, I think 200-300 words is acceptable
... See more
Hello,

I think this point was raised fairly recently- I\'ve had a similar experience with an agency recently too and I ended up calling them and politely pointing out that in general, test translations are between 200-300 words - they\'d sent me three files totalling over 2000 words!!! They put it down to a mistake on their part - although it did occur to me that it could have been a \"free\" translation for a client....

Anyway, in general, I think 200-300 words is acceptable and largely sufficient to be able to assess the quality of a translator.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

no title

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »