Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Do you want to learn to type? Start here!
Thread poster: Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

As many of us don't know how to type, I thouh it might be a good idea to encourage those of you who want to do something about it to start learning it now.

I have made it a personal priority to learn it and I will be taking one lesson a day from now. I am aiming to do it in the morning to make sure it gets done and prioritise it over paid work.

If you want to participate, please download a free typing program here:
... See more
As many of us don't know how to type, I thouh it might be a good idea to encourage those of you who want to do something about it to start learning it now.

I have made it a personal priority to learn it and I will be taking one lesson a day from now. I am aiming to do it in the morning to make sure it gets done and prioritise it over paid work.

If you want to participate, please download a free typing program here:

http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/

Then you post it here when you have completed a lesson. Just to keep track and make sure it gets done

Enjoy!
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 01:55
German to English
I'm on board! Aug 4, 2008

I've sneaked in a little extrsa practice with Typefaster aleady, but as you can see I've still got a long way to go. TYping this post with 8 fingers is till painfully slow... LAst week'S An inflammed tendon in my right arm has convinced me that i must finally do something about my office ergonomics and typing skills. So I'll be joining you, hopefully everyday, in mastering the fine art of 10-finger typing. I'll also continue to post uncoirrected touch-typed posts to this thread - hopefully we'll... See more
I've sneaked in a little extrsa practice with Typefaster aleady, but as you can see I've still got a long way to go. TYping this post with 8 fingers is till painfully slow... LAst week'S An inflammed tendon in my right arm has convinced me that i must finally do something about my office ergonomics and typing skills. So I'll be joining you, hopefully everyday, in mastering the fine art of 10-finger typing. I'll also continue to post uncoirrected touch-typed posts to this thread - hopefully we'll see some progress here over the next few weeks!

[Edited at 2008-08-04 08:56]
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not bad, Damian ;) Aug 4, 2008

I've just redone my first lesson (got 2 done weeks ago and never got any further).

Anyone else?

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:55
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Just two words for now Aug 4, 2008

Disastrous results.

AniseK
AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 07:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Interesting Aug 4, 2008

Hi Ivana,
count me in! I'm downloading the application as we "speak"

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Flabbergasted! Aug 4, 2008

This is something I have honestly never thought about...I always just assumed (now there's a dangerous word!) that all translators were typists! This has really given me something to think about. I took typing when I was in high school and am a very fast typist, but I have completely overlooked the fact that perhaps some (many?) translators don't have this skill.

Thank God for Dragon Naturally Speaking, eh?

... See more
This is something I have honestly never thought about...I always just assumed (now there's a dangerous word!) that all translators were typists! This has really given me something to think about. I took typing when I was in high school and am a very fast typist, but I have completely overlooked the fact that perhaps some (many?) translators don't have this skill.

Thank God for Dragon Naturally Speaking, eh?

Amy
Collapse

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Higher translation speed, less strain on your wrists Aug 4, 2008

I touch-type in English and Russian. I don't know how my brain does it, but I can switch between the two languages without any problems. Go for it, guys! It will help a lot.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
High School Aug 4, 2008

Right, when I was in high school, typing was for the girls. We boys would either be working construction or if we went to college, later on we would have a secretary do do the typing for us. That was over 50 years ago.

Upon graduating from high school one of my presents was a portable typewriter that I learned how to use the wrong way with no instruction at all. Throughout my working career, even though I had secretaries, I always did some typing on my own and even liberated an old
... See more
Right, when I was in high school, typing was for the girls. We boys would either be working construction or if we went to college, later on we would have a secretary do do the typing for us. That was over 50 years ago.

Upon graduating from high school one of my presents was a portable typewriter that I learned how to use the wrong way with no instruction at all. Throughout my working career, even though I had secretaries, I always did some typing on my own and even liberated an old typewriter for my own use in the office, which got some strange reactions because I was a supervisor.

I have always envied those with great typing skills and for years wondered if I could ever be good enough to make a living typing.

Now for many years I have proven that I can. My typing is at least good enough to follow the thought that has to go into the work. The thought keeps improving, but the typing, I'm afraid, stays about the same.

I should have started in high school...
Collapse

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree with Amy Aug 4, 2008

It must be sheer torture doing this job if you don't type - plus put a serious brake on your productivity.

When I left school, I didn't know what I wanted to do and my father enrolled me (against my will) in a typing school in Copenhagen at a very smart address, but at a place with dizzying rows of clunky manual typewriters and hard chairs. I went every day for a few months and loathed the boredom of it, but it has been one of the single most useful skills I've ever acquired.
... See more
It must be sheer torture doing this job if you don't type - plus put a serious brake on your productivity.

When I left school, I didn't know what I wanted to do and my father enrolled me (against my will) in a typing school in Copenhagen at a very smart address, but at a place with dizzying rows of clunky manual typewriters and hard chairs. I went every day for a few months and loathed the boredom of it, but it has been one of the single most useful skills I've ever acquired.

It actually doesn't take that long if you put your mind to it. So get tapping!
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great support! Aug 4, 2008

Thanks for all your support! It's great to know that those of you who do type feel that it really makes a difference.

I find it really hard to change from the way I type now, I must say. Any tips or hints on breaking the habit? Other than of course doing the course...

My husband learned it like you, Henry, and he says just keep all fingers on the type pad and make yourself use al fingers and stop looking. I find that I get distracted from that whenever I have to use th
... See more
Thanks for all your support! It's great to know that those of you who do type feel that it really makes a difference.

I find it really hard to change from the way I type now, I must say. Any tips or hints on breaking the habit? Other than of course doing the course...

My husband learned it like you, Henry, and he says just keep all fingers on the type pad and make yourself use al fingers and stop looking. I find that I get distracted from that whenever I have to use the mouse!
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
If you have to type every word, you're not using your computer to the fullest Aug 4, 2008

I never type every single word. I use text expansion software. I just type a few letters like "asap", then a trigger key such as F1, and it spits out "As soon as possible."

There is always a way to get out of typing!

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Aug 4, 2008

Now that sounds clever! Can you tell me where I can read up on this?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:55
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, I'm a trained secretary... Aug 4, 2008

but I agree with Reed, that there does not have to be so much typing to be done - in my case because nearly every single word of over two letters is in Multiterm - and the terms can now be inserted very quickly, due to my new computer having 3 GB RAM. I have only had this luxury of the RAM for a couple of weeks, however. On the previous computer inserting terms was so terribly slow that it was much easier to rattle off the sentence at lightning speed - so it certainly does come in handy to be a... See more
but I agree with Reed, that there does not have to be so much typing to be done - in my case because nearly every single word of over two letters is in Multiterm - and the terms can now be inserted very quickly, due to my new computer having 3 GB RAM. I have only had this luxury of the RAM for a couple of weeks, however. On the previous computer inserting terms was so terribly slow that it was much easier to rattle off the sentence at lightning speed - so it certainly does come in handy to be able to type quickly, with all the fingers. I taught myself, out of an official typing manual, on a manual typewriter, when I was eleven years old, and also passed the 50 wpm exams on manual typewriters!

Astrid
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Try Direct Access Aug 4, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

Now that sounds clever! Can you tell me where I can read up on this?

Try Direct Access: www.nagarsoft.com

You won't be disappointed!

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 4, 2008

Looks like a good deal - but I guess it's only for English?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you want to learn to type? Start here!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »