Direct clients - how and where to locate them?
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 14, 2002

Dear colleagues:

1) Any suggestion or input as to how and where to locate and work with direct clients?

2) Any useful websites, written information, organizations, companies .... ?

3) For individual colleagues who have their own web sites, how useful are they (especially in terms of getting business)?

Thanks in advance for all your answers ^_^

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 00:21
English to Russian
+ ...
just a reference Jan 14, 2002

Dear Brenda,

Ketch this: http://www.foreignword.com/Translators/agencies/agencies.htm

and try this old wench called GOOD LUCK!

I mean it.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 23:21
German to English
+ ...
This topic has come up before..... Jan 14, 2002

Check out the forum on \"Getting established\" - you\'ll find a topic posted there by Theeraphat Sunthornwit

on \"How to get direct clients?\"

There are some great suggestions there - one thing though, you\'re not going to establish an entire portfolio of exclusively direct clients overnight. It takes time and patience....

HTH

Alison

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-14 15:10 ]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
Having your own website does help Jan 14, 2002

Yes, you should most definitely go ahead and get your own website. It will help you attract both direct clients and agencies.

Get yourself a good domain name and have your site registered with various search engines and directories.

Keep it simple: in order to attract professional clients (eg, companies, government agencies, etc.), you should refrain from \"personal\" details (I have seen translators\' websites where they show pictures of their most rece
... See more
Yes, you should most definitely go ahead and get your own website. It will help you attract both direct clients and agencies.

Get yourself a good domain name and have your site registered with various search engines and directories.

Keep it simple: in order to attract professional clients (eg, companies, government agencies, etc.), you should refrain from \"personal\" details (I have seen translators\' websites where they show pictures of their most recent trips or list their favourite music). Keep the information brief and to the point. Clients do not want to spend too much time navigating your site!
Collapse

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
"Direct clients" IS NOT EQUAL TO "Agencies" Jan 14, 2002

Moreover, it is an opposite term. I know how much some agencies charge per one translated word and sometimes they \"share\" with us much more than 5% or 10%.

For a better income of works you need at least three positions understood and implemented: i) a possibility to be visible (e.g., via searching engines, on translator lists, etc.); ii) a possibility to see eventual direct clients as soon as they appear; and iii) good knowledge of Net.

You can imagine that your search fo
... See more
Moreover, it is an opposite term. I know how much some agencies charge per one translated word and sometimes they \"share\" with us much more than 5% or 10%.

For a better income of works you need at least three positions understood and implemented: i) a possibility to be visible (e.g., via searching engines, on translator lists, etc.); ii) a possibility to see eventual direct clients as soon as they appear; and iii) good knowledge of Net.

You can imagine that your search for job is something dual to the search for a qualified, fast, and economic translator. Try to imagine where in your country you can meet and be met by necessary PERSONS (all is decided by people). The Net, in this case, is the best of ways existing to find people required. Your should surf and think. You should have a place (or places) where you can be met by those who are thinking and surfing from an \"opposite side of \"wireware\"\". To avoid agencies you must be registered in all possible freelance translators\' lists. pleas enote also that the best place for translators cetainly is ProZ.com

I think that, in addition, one should remember always, that (s)he should always be good and helping to people to have a path over (and thus cover \'em this gap) the gap between their languages!

Yours,

Tagir.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-14 22:12 ]
Collapse

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz.com - agencies v direct clients Jan 15, 2002

Thanks very much for all colleagues who gave me all the important and useful information!!

Now about Proz.com. I am a relatively new member. (I was a non paying member last year, and became a paying member this year.) It seems that the majority of jobs I have seen so far (at least in my language combinations) are offered by agencies. Does Proz.com have plans to market to direct clients, such as major companies, public and private orangizations and so forth ? Or is it something that
... See more
Thanks very much for all colleagues who gave me all the important and useful information!!

Now about Proz.com. I am a relatively new member. (I was a non paying member last year, and became a paying member this year.) It seems that the majority of jobs I have seen so far (at least in my language combinations) are offered by agencies. Does Proz.com have plans to market to direct clients, such as major companies, public and private orangizations and so forth ? Or is it something that has already been done? Does any colleague know of any translators/interpreters websites that target direct clients?

Thanks in advance again ^_^
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Direct clients - how and where to locate them?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »