Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Even more than 80% May 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

About 80% of the work is creating content - and no web designer will be able to provide you with that.

Amen to that.

What attracts visitors to a website is its contents.

I happen to manage several different websites related to translation: our company's main website, a web site devoted to translation quality control, a companion blog to the translation quality website and a blog on professional translation.

Our company's web site took the most time in design and layout work. Since its content is essentially static (it is basically just a web brochure for our company), it only attracts a few visitors each day.

The translation quality site attracts more visitors: there is more content there, and due to its specialized nature it appears on the first page of search engines for certain specific searches. I devoted some design work to it, but less than to our company's one.

The translation quality blogs attracts more visitors than the translation quality website: its content is dynamic (it tends to be change more frequently).

Finally, my main blog gets several thousand visitors each month: its contents change much more often, and seem to have found a niche readership.

Both blogs are as simple as they come, design-wise (very little changes over a standard blogger template), and the (considerable) time spent on them was almost all spent writing contents.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
French to English
Link? May 28, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
It goes to show that some people here don't have a clue what work a website requires. About 80% of the work is creating content - and no web designer will be able to provide you with that. Web designers are no writers - I prefer to do that myself. As for adding paragraph tags - I already know how to do that...

I confess that, while I see what you mean, my reaction was similar to Marion's. We're always moaning about cleaning up half-arsed amateur efforts at translation, or making something readable out of text run through babelfish, and here you are advocating what must be, for professional web designers, the equivalent bane of their lives. I had a little chuckle to myself.

Anyway, since it is all a piece of cake, could you possibly provide a link to your own website, please? I couldn't find a link on your profile and a google search on your name brings up nothing in the first 3 pages that isn't proz-related... Ta muchly

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 19:34
English to Dutch
There you go May 28, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Our company's web site took the most time in design and layout work. Since its content is essentially static (it is basically just a web brochure for our company), it only attracts a few visitors each day.

And that's exactly what I mean. If I wanted to have a website, surely it would be 'basically just a web brochure' for my services. I imagine potential clients are not interested in dynamic content on my website: they want to know what I do, at what rate, and how they can reach me. Static content, that takes time in design and layout work.

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

A website is a business card, a resume and an initial means of impression all in one.

Then don't you think it would be wise to let a professional create that? Someone who knows how to create a professional looking website? There are quite a lot of translation agencies with a website that looks like it's been designed by one of their employees that had nothing else to do. My reaction: if they don't have the time or money to create a professional looking website (as you say: their business card, resume and initial means of impression), they probably don't invest in other important business aspects either. That doesn't have to be true, but many people are reluctant to find out.

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

What I find hilarious is how people seem to think that translation and writing HTML code require the same level of qualification. How many successful web designers went to university to learn their trade? How many translators did the same?

This has nothing to do with qualification. It's about experience. Maybe you have a lot of experience creating websites, I don't know. It would take me days or weeks to create a website and it would still look horrible. My advice: if you've never done anything like that before, let an experienced person do the job.

Charlie Bavington wrote:

We're always moaning about cleaning up half-arsed amateur efforts at translation, or making something readable out of text run through babelfish, and here you are advocating what must be, for professional web designers, the equivalent bane of their lives.

Exactly my thoughts.

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Anyway, since it is all a piece of cake, could you possibly provide a link to your own website, please?

Perhaps the website I created at university shows that not all of us are brilliant web designers?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it an advantage to be "independent"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »