Online Freelance Translator = International Man?
Thread poster: VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
May 19, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen:

As an online freelance translator, s/he also has to provide his/her transboundary services, or an international business communication is needed.

I am wondering whether s/he is considered as an international man.

Can anyone explain such an issue?

Kind regards,

[Edited at 2008-05-19 02:30]

[Edited at 2008-05-19 08:13]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
German to English
+ ...
Not sure May 19, 2008

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Are you talking about some sort of legal status or a more theoretical concept?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:40
English to German
+ ...
Yes he can be considered as one May 19, 2008

for being able to communicate online and globally. Brandis

VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
TOPIC STARTER
Both of them - How about Privacy?! May 19, 2008

Daina,

Thanks for asking and it is great to hearing you are willing to explain such an issue so I will learn more. It would be good if you do both of them.

Brandis,

When it comes to saying "Yes", a point of view that there is no mysteries for the international man is reasonable or logic. Is it important to consider the privacy policies on every website while the globalisation is necessary and has been in progress? Should we consider finding any
... See more
Daina,

Thanks for asking and it is great to hearing you are willing to explain such an issue so I will learn more. It would be good if you do both of them.

Brandis,

When it comes to saying "Yes", a point of view that there is no mysteries for the international man is reasonable or logic. Is it important to consider the privacy policies on every website while the globalisation is necessary and has been in progress? Should we consider finding any ways to having worries free about this?

Thanks and Kind regards,

[Edited at 2008-05-19 08:51]

[Edited at 2008-05-19 09:00]
Collapse

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:40
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
Traducteur sans frontier May 19, 2008

Perhaps what you are driving at, and I have been thinking about, is the fact that the internet has rendered the need for workers to exist long-term at a specific site of production obsolete. The fact that people whose work consists entirely through internet interactions, (and freelance translators are the ultimate example of this) means that traditional patterns of residency and domicility are no longer applicable for many people.
We can now live and work wherever there is an internet con
... See more
Perhaps what you are driving at, and I have been thinking about, is the fact that the internet has rendered the need for workers to exist long-term at a specific site of production obsolete. The fact that people whose work consists entirely through internet interactions, (and freelance translators are the ultimate example of this) means that traditional patterns of residency and domicility are no longer applicable for many people.
We can now live and work wherever there is an internet connection. Are state policy makers keeping up with the implications of this?
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
German to English
+ ...
Yes and maybe May 19, 2008

I guess philosophically I do consider translators to be a class of "international people" - it's interesting to me to be able to interact with people daily who are sitting in the UK, Germany, Austria, Mexico, etc. and to travel to those places when I can. It provides a different perspective from my own four walls/country's borders, and that can only be good for the world, I hope. I love being able to speak other languages that open up doors for me around the world, and I am raising my children i... See more
I guess philosophically I do consider translators to be a class of "international people" - it's interesting to me to be able to interact with people daily who are sitting in the UK, Germany, Austria, Mexico, etc. and to travel to those places when I can. It provides a different perspective from my own four walls/country's borders, and that can only be good for the world, I hope. I love being able to speak other languages that open up doors for me around the world, and I am raising my children in the same way. My children will truly be capable of being "international people" themselves - they are being raised trilingually and in close contact with immigrants to this country (the US - it's just a fact of life here), which will hopefully give them a feel for different perspectives. I feel that making this effort is worthwhile personally and for the good of the country as a whole, which is sorely in need of people with understanding of other languages and cultures, both in the business and political worlds.

As a legal issue, I think this is an interesting question as well, but not as clear cut. I hold two citizenships, so that makes me at least somewhat international, yet I can't travel or work everywhere even though in practical terms I could buy a plane ticket and work on my laptop. A year ago or so we were looking into working abroad in a non-European country (so neither of us would have had the citizenship of that country or the right to work there automatically). You would not believe what a gray area freelancing is! In a lot of places the best information I could find indicated that I could theoretically freelance translate from a given country for third-party clients without a work permit. That seemed promising, but it was very difficult to find concrete information. I don't believe that the legal world has caught up with the technological possibilities yet in this regard (as Rossa says above).

As for privacy, in this type of work (cross-border, electronic - often translations of sensitive material) there sure is a lot of trust involved, but that's between the client and translator to work out.

[Edited at 2008-05-19 11:56]

[Edited at 2008-05-19 11:58]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Freelance Translator = International Man?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »