Thread poster: Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:16
Member (2008)
German to English
Mar 25, 2008

I recently submitted a quote by e-mail for the translation of a fairly short book. I stated my line rate and the time needed for the translation based on a sample of the book they had provided. The client is a small publisher I have never worked for before. They thanked me for my quote and are now asking me to send them a contract for the translation by tomorrow. I really don't know what they're expecting here and I only get an answer machine when I try calling them. Any ideas what they want? I... See more
I recently submitted a quote by e-mail for the translation of a fairly short book. I stated my line rate and the time needed for the translation based on a sample of the book they had provided. The client is a small publisher I have never worked for before. They thanked me for my quote and are now asking me to send them a contract for the translation by tomorrow. I really don't know what they're expecting here and I only get an answer machine when I try calling them. Any ideas what they want? I'm not a lawyer and am loathe to attempt to word anything legal myself!Collapse

Ellemiek Drucker
Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
'standard contracts available online2 Mar 25, 2008

Hi Tansy,

Have a look on the web. I know there are standard translation contracts available (for free). I believe the ATA website has one. I have used this before and just amended it where necessary and it seemed fine.

HTH
Ellemiek

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
German to English
+ ...
Where is the client located? Mar 25, 2008

If you intend to adapt a sample contract, use one written for the jurisdiction of your client. If the client is in the US, the ATA ones would be more appropriate than something provided by the BDÜ and vice versa for German clients.

I dimly recall seeing sample contracts for literary translations somewhere, but can't remember whether they were from a US or a German organization. Maybe someone else knows?

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Discussed in previous posts Mar 25, 2008

You might find the following post helpful: http://www.proz.com/topic/89899

Best,
Jerónimo

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 25, 2008

Thanks to all. In the end I managed to contact the client by phone and they're going to prepare a contract and send it to me seeing as I don't have a template myself. The client is in Germany so yes, it would have to be in German - although I found the one on the ATA site interesting for reference purposes. I will also send my own terms and conditions when I sign their contract.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
client can never know your conditions.. Mar 30, 2008

Hi! so you have to prepare your form of a contract and show. Else the client can put as many clauses and I am sure then I will see a dissatisfied posting. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client wants contract

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »