https://www.proz.com/forum/armenian/110048-typing_with_armenian_unicode.html&phpv_redirected=1

Typing with Armenian Unicode
Thread poster: Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 21:49
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Jul 12, 2008

Hello everybody,

Sorry for writing in English, but I do not know Armenian. Maybe this thread already is in the Armenian forum, but I cannot understand it

One of my Armenian friends has some difficulties with Armenian Unicode. I suppose this may be the same problem as with Georgian Unicode. It may need a special keyboard driver to type with Latin layout. Is this so? If yes, could you kindly tell me wher
... See more
Hello everybody,

Sorry for writing in English, but I do not know Armenian. Maybe this thread already is in the Armenian forum, but I cannot understand it

One of my Armenian friends has some difficulties with Armenian Unicode. I suppose this may be the same problem as with Georgian Unicode. It may need a special keyboard driver to type with Latin layout. Is this so? If yes, could you kindly tell me where can I download the Armenian keyboard driver for Latin layout?

Thank you for your advice.
Kind regards,
Maya
Collapse

Lia Melkonyan
Lia Melkonyan
Armenia
French to Armenian
+ ...
It's not so difficult for Armenian Unicode Jul 12, 2008

Hello Maya,
I think you should refer to the URL http://www.ercole.net/hayaser/other1.asp?other=64 .
There you'll find some Keybord drivers for Armenian language and some Armenian fonts. I advise you to download the KDWin301.zip Keybord driver and as to the fonts armfonts.zip. Note: almost all the Armenians use KDWin Keybord driver. It includes both the Armenian and the Lati
... See more
Hello Maya,
I think you should refer to the URL http://www.ercole.net/hayaser/other1.asp?other=64 .
There you'll find some Keybord drivers for Armenian language and some Armenian fonts. I advise you to download the KDWin301.zip Keybord driver and as to the fonts armfonts.zip. Note: almost all the Armenians use KDWin Keybord driver. It includes both the Armenian and the Latin layouts.
After installing these two references, your friend should chose Armenian Phonetic Unicode in the KDWin Keybord Driver. So good work!!!
Lia Melkonyan
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Maya, Jul 13, 2008

Another way to do this is just to activate the Windows support of Armenian Unicode. Here's how you can do it:

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options;
2. Open the "Language" tab;
3. Check the checkbox "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)"';
4. After Windows installs the corresponding files on your system, hit the "Details" button on the same place;
5. In the dialog-box that opens hit
... See more
Another way to do this is just to activate the Windows support of Armenian Unicode. Here's how you can do it:

3. Check the checkbox "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)"';
4. After Windows installs the corresponding files on your system, hit the "Details" button on the same place;
5. In the dialog-box that opens hit "Add", choose "Armenian" (Eastern or Western) from the list and hit "OK".
Collapse

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Hi Lia and Henrik, Jul 15, 2008

Thank you for your replies!

Lia, thank you for your helpful link!

Henrik, after activation of the Georgian Unicode supported by Windows, you can use it only with special Georgian keyboard, because of the layout. If you want to use it with Latin keyboard, you should install relevant driver. I suppose the Armenian Unicode has the same problem, hasn’t it? I see keyboard drivers at the site kindly provided
... See more
Thank you for your replies!

Lia, thank you for your helpful link!

Henrik, after activation of the Georgian Unicode supported by Windows, you can use it only with special Georgian keyboard, because of the layout. If you want to use it with Latin keyboard, you should install relevant driver. I suppose the Armenian Unicode has the same problem, hasn’t it? I see keyboard drivers at the site kindly provided by Lia, which may be useful with Latin keyboard.

Thanks a lot both of you once again and kind Regards,
Maya
Collapse

Araksia Sarkisian
Araksia Sarkisian  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:49
Armenian to Polish
+ ...
Precisely! ;) Jul 30, 2009

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

5. In the dialog-box that opens hit "Add", choose "Armenian" (Eastern or Western) from the list and hit "OK".

Hayk Hovhannisyan
Hayk Hovhannisyan
Poland
Local time: 19:49
Armenian to Polish
+ ...
More info Dec 22, 2010

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

You can find detailed information here:
http://www.armtown.com/writearmenian.php

NEED TO KNOW IF KDWIN FOR MAC EXISTS Apr 14, 2011

Hello all,

I recently purchased an apple mac and am having one hek of a tough time figuring out how to type in Armenian using the preinstalled keyboard driver! I am an avid user of KDWIN and am in need of finding a similar (maybe same?) thing for mac. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Regards, David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Hasmik Avetyan[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing with Armenian Unicode

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »