Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 5, 2019

Dear collegues

When a new year starts, you usually try to do things better than the year before.

Now, I would like to start dictating translations more than writing them. The most famous tool is dragon, which cannot be used on a Mac. I've seen there is a built-in Dictation tool.

Have you already used it? If so, how did you train it?

Happy New Year 2019

Lucia

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jan 5, 2019

I used to use Dragon, now I use the Mac dication tool. It works fine for my language (German) and allows me to combine dictation with typing -- Dragon did not like this combination. No need to train.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Excellent Jan 5, 2019

I have been using Mac Dictation for several years now. It's much better than Dragon (and it's free!) because it isn't a third party add-on; it's completely integrated with the MacOS so works perfectly.

No training is required. It learns by itself, over time, as long as you use the "enhanced dictation" option in System Preferences.

But you DO need a very good microphone. After wasting my money on 2 or 3 that were no goo
... See more
I have been using Mac Dictation for several years now. It's much better than Dragon (and it's free!) because it isn't a third party add-on; it's completely integrated with the MacOS so works perfectly.

No training is required. It learns by itself, over time, as long as you use the "enhanced dictation" option in System Preferences.

But you DO need a very good microphone. After wasting my money on 2 or 3 that were no good, I use one of these

https://www.plantronics.com/gb/en/product/blackwire-435

which is excellent and can be plugged into a USB port. You can probably find it on eBay at a lower price. I only use one of the earpieces to hold the microphone near my mouth.

I use my own preferred keyboard combination (CTL + ESC) to quickly switch it on and off.

I use it for Italian and English but there is an enormous range of other languages.

There is a whole range of voice commands, which I'm still mastering , such as "CAPS ON" "ALL CAPS ON" "OPEN BRACKETS/CLOSE BRACKETS" etc.

It does have some annoying quirks, such as typing "hi" instead of "high", and a few other things. But it doesn't make typos and it has saved me from Repetitive Strain Injury.

[Edited at 2019-01-05 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for tips Jan 5, 2019

Thanks for tips, also for the microphone.

I'll try it first, then if it is fine, I'll buy a good microphone.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Select right 'English' Jan 6, 2019

For a month or so back in 2016 I couldn't use my right hand (cycling accident).

I started using Mac dictation and had endless errors.... until I realised there was an 'Australian English' option.

Changing to Australian English made the world of difference (never knew my accent was that distinguished!) and Mac dictation saved a few projects that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to finish!

Back to the keyboard now, but it's a really useful tool for certai
... See more
For a month or so back in 2016 I couldn't use my right hand (cycling accident).

I started using Mac dictation and had endless errors.... until I realised there was an 'Australian English' option.

Changing to Australian English made the world of difference (never knew my accent was that distinguished!) and Mac dictation saved a few projects that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to finish!

Back to the keyboard now, but it's a really useful tool for certain types of jobs!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Accents Jan 7, 2019

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

.... until I realised there was an 'Australian English' option....

I'm still waiting for a Bellaghy, South Derry language option (Seamus Heaney English). ☺️

After several years of working with Mac Dictation in English I've learned that I can sometimes trick it into typing the correct word by adopting a London East End accent. Not cockney, but quite broad London. I think the Mac Dictation software may be based on an actual person speaking, who works for Apple. In Italian, the person seems to be either a native of Rome, or south of it.

[Edited at 2019-01-07 08:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictation tool on a Mac High-Sierra iOS

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »