Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:19
Czech to German
+ ...
May 27, 2006

Hi,

this is not a question about translation but I'm just curious to know whether the "tocius" in the following sentence is right or not:

Praga tocius Bohemiae domina

Should it not be "totius"? Or is it just a misprint? I had this sentence in one text recently and the unusual form caught my eyes. It had been written by a scholar in 11th century but unfortunately the original has not been preserved.
I have no idea of middle-age Latin but maybe someo
... See more
Hi,

this is not a question about translation but I'm just curious to know whether the "tocius" in the following sentence is right or not:

Praga tocius Bohemiae domina

Should it not be "totius"? Or is it just a misprint? I had this sentence in one text recently and the unusual form caught my eyes. It had been written by a scholar in 11th century but unfortunately the original has not been preserved.
I have no idea of middle-age Latin but maybe someone of you would know more about this?

Charlotte
Collapse

Neil Crockford
Neil Crockford  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Question about 11th century Latin May 27, 2006

"Totius" makes perfect sense.

"Tocius" does not appear to exist.

My money is on a scribal error, and error in transcription or
a misprint.

William Short
William Short  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:19
Italian to English
+ ...
totius / tocius May 27, 2006

_totius_ is word that you want, although _tocius_ is a result of pronunciation influencing spelling rather than a scribal error (such as diplography, etc.). By the 11th c. -ti- was certainly already sibilized (cf. amicitia >> amicizia etc.)

Katherine Zei
Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Latin variation May 28, 2006

There are lots of variations in spelling from that time, as well as local Latin dialects and other things to confuse us. Looks like a sibilisation to me too.

No spellcheck back then! Probably a good thing

Saluti,
Katy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about 11th century Latin

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »