Alchemy Catalyst 7: Concordance search not working properly - suggestions?
Thread poster: FRA-MA
FRA-MA
FRA-MA
Germany
Local time: 11:36
English to French
+ ...
May 10, 2007

Hi all,

I am working with the light version of Alchemy Catalyst 7 and have integrated a Trados TM (v6.5) and a glossary for concordance searches. (via Tools > Options > PowerTranslate) However, it does not seem to work properly. Sometimes matches are suggested, other times not, and the entries don't seem to get saved after each segment I save. Do you have any suggestions what may be wrong/what has to be set differently in the settings?

Thank you for your help!

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thread moved to Catalyst Support Forum May 24, 2007

We have a newly created support forum for Catalyst and I will send a note to the support team at Catalyst so that you may receive assistance. Thank you.

Drew MacFadyen

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 10:36
English
Concordance only available with paid versions of Catalyst May 24, 2007

Hi There,

I'm afraid that the concordance search is not available with the Tranlsator Lite version of Catalyst. You will only be able to use this with a paid version such as Tranlsator Pro. I would imagine that you have your glossary attached and this is where your translation suggestions are coming from as you will not be able to attach a Trados TMW with the free version of Catalyst either. Also note that the concordence search can only be used with TTK and TMW files when used with
... See more
Hi There,

I'm afraid that the concordance search is not available with the Tranlsator Lite version of Catalyst. You will only be able to use this with a paid version such as Tranlsator Pro. I would imagine that you have your glossary attached and this is where your translation suggestions are coming from as you will not be able to attach a Trados TMW with the free version of Catalyst either. Also note that the concordence search can only be used with TTK and TMW files when used with a paid version of Catalyst.

Below is a link to a document on the Concordance search if you wish to use it with a paid version of Catalyst.

http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/support/knowledgebase/concordancesearchincatalyst.html

Best regards,
Clement
Collapse

KJIDTP
KJIDTP
Local time: 04:36
English
WordCounts and Validation not working in Developer edition Feb 8, 2008

I just thought I'd add a mention to the problem and solution for a similar problem I've had. As well as a problem with word counts I'm still having.
--------

I'm part of the DTP team at a translation/localisation company. Recently we started using Catalyst 7 for XML and HTML Help type files.

When producing reports for our Project Managers I've run into inconsistencies in word counts as well as inconsistencies in glossary validation checks using the Validate Expert
... See more
I just thought I'd add a mention to the problem and solution for a similar problem I've had. As well as a problem with word counts I'm still having.
--------

I'm part of the DTP team at a translation/localisation company. Recently we started using Catalyst 7 for XML and HTML Help type files.

When producing reports for our Project Managers I've run into inconsistencies in word counts as well as inconsistencies in glossary validation checks using the Validate Expert in Catalyst. I would open the file, run a Validate check against our loaded glossary, get say 50 errors. Then close the file, reopen it, perform the same check with the same settings and get 0 errors. I brought this to the attention of some of the developers at Catalyst and for now the problem seems to be that Catalyst is skipping some translation strings when they haven't been opened in Catalyst previously. So for now the solution is as follows:

1) Click the top folder of your project
2) Click the "Show All Strings" button in the Navigator Toolbar (a window with an "A" in it)
3) Select the first item in the Strings window
4) Press and hold the Enter or Return key until all strings have been opened and you reach the bottom of the list.

I find that my cell phone is the perfect size and weight for times when I need to keep that Enter key held down for 5 minutes or so in larger files.

The development team is supposedly looking into this and will hopefully have it fixed by the next update.
---------

However, while this seems to work for the Validate Expert, I'm finding I still have inconsistencies in my word counts between the various checkers in Catalyst.

To estimate the cost of our projects to the client and estimate payment to our translators we rely on a word count with a break down TM analysis for translations provided by our TMs from previous projects. To get these numbers I mainly use the Analysis Expert to make a TM Analysis report. The program scans our TM for matches and presents a report with total translatable word count and a break down like 80-100% match, 60-70% match etc. It's great - except that the word counts aren't always accurate. I'll do this check and get a translateable word count of say 1500 words, and then I'll pull up the Statistics tool and see that it's reporting 1900 translatable words. I've occationally gotten the counts to match up, and pressing the Enter key to scan through all the strings helps, but even then I'm getting inconsistencies and that's a real problem when it comes to estimating the cost of our jobs, I really hope this will get fixed sometime soon as well . . .

The other problem I have with this... just to put it in public is that the TM analysis should really happen during the Pretranslation process with the Leverage Expert. You can do a Leverage Expert report but the information is different and not at all what we need, I hope that they will combine these two processes soon as well. It's not much of an issue with small files, but with larger files, having to wait for it to scan through the TM twice: once to pick up the translations and once to get the TM report is rather time consuming.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Alchemy Catalyst 7: Concordance search not working properly - suggestions?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »