Would upgrade to Alchemy Catalyst 11 be a good investment or not?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:41
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2015

I bought a license 5 years ago as a student and only paid 200 EUR I think it was. That was version 8. Then yesterday I received a job offer from a new customer who asked me to use Alchemy Catalyst for that job (website localization), but version 9 or 10. So I asked Alchemy Software how much an upgrade costs, and it turned out it would cost me 500 EUR to upgrade (more than double the price compared to what I initially
... See more

I bought a license 5 years ago as a student and only paid 200 EUR I think it was. That was version 8. Then yesterday I received a job offer from a new customer who asked me to use Alchemy Catalyst for that job (website localization), but version 9 or 10. So I asked Alchemy Software how much an upgrade costs, and it turned out it would cost me 500 EUR to upgrade (more than double the price compared to what I initially paid for the license).

The customer asked for version 9 or 10, but wouldn't version 11 also work for version 9 and 10 jobs? So I upgrade to the latest version.

So what I wonder is whether there are many customers requiring jobs to be done in Alchemy Catalyst, just like there are many customers requiring you to use SDL Trados Studio?

As Alchemy Catalyst is a localization tool for website and software localization and SDL Trados Studio (which I normally use, have licenses for both Studio and Workbench/TagEditor) mainly is used for document translation, it might be a good idea to go ahead with this investment in an Alchemy Catalyst upgrade. Especially now when my new customer seems to have a lot of jobs that needs to be done in Alchemy Catalyst. But I don't know to what degree there are customers out there using Alchemy Catalyst if compared to SDL Trados Studio? Anyone who knows? What are the relations, for instance 35-15 in favour of Studio?

Is Alchemy Catalyst used mainly by customers in specific countries?

[Edited at 2015-04-29 01:02 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »