How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:27
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2013

How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)? And which is best to use of SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Alchemy Catalyst 8.0 (I have license for both)?

I have the original CD-ROMs all in Chinese language which I want to localize into English.

So I wonder what the procedure would be. Something like this?:
1. I extract the folders and files, or copy and paste to my harddisk. However, there are a lot of different files, like t
... See more
How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)? And which is best to use of SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Alchemy Catalyst 8.0 (I have license for both)?

I have the original CD-ROMs all in Chinese language which I want to localize into English.

So I wonder what the procedure would be. Something like this?:
1. I extract the folders and files, or copy and paste to my harddisk. However, there are a lot of different files, like these on CD-ROM no. 1:
.rar (named Data1 and Data2)
data1.hdr
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
setup.exe
setup.ini
setup.inx
autorun.exe
autorun.inf
Readme.txt

In addition, in one folder, there are a lot of .gvd files, but these are dictionaries used by the application so I shouldn't need to deal with these when localizing, should I?

And these files on CD-ROM no. 2:
HASPUserSetup.exe
data1.rar
data2.rar
data1.hdr
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
Setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
autorun.exe
autorun.inf

2. Create a localization project in my CAT-tool SDL Trados Studio 2011 or Alchemy Catalyst 8.0

3. Translate everything in my CAT-tool.

4. When finished translating everything from Chinese to English I save the target files in my CAT-tool.

5. Finally, I burn these translated target files onto a new CD-ROM which I label with an English name, and finalize it.

The software on these two CD-ROMs are for Windows.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not that easy Feb 9, 2013

Hi Fredrik,
I'm afraid it will probably not be as easy as that. You should ask your client to provide you with all localizable files (exe, dll etc.). Once you have localized them, it should be the client who compiles the CDs.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Install Feb 9, 2013

Hi Fredrik,

I agree with Stanislav - it's not that simple. I would install the CDs on my computer and then list all of the dlls, exes, etc. in every directory (don't know how complex the S/W is) but that might not be enough as there might be tlb files, etc. that need to be localized. Some strings might also be hard-coded in the exes and override the dlls.

In addition, moving from a double-byte to a single-byte language might also cause issues. When localizing S/W, my
... See more
Hi Fredrik,

I agree with Stanislav - it's not that simple. I would install the CDs on my computer and then list all of the dlls, exes, etc. in every directory (don't know how complex the S/W is) but that might not be enough as there might be tlb files, etc. that need to be localized. Some strings might also be hard-coded in the exes and override the dlls.

In addition, moving from a double-byte to a single-byte language might also cause issues. When localizing S/W, my customers provide me with a toolkit with all of the necessary resources to build a localized CD. I would also go for Alchemy Catalyst as you can easily import exes and dlls.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »