How can the original file format for the scanned PDF I received be .doc?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:18
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2011

I received five scanned PDF-files (searchabe text, so they have been OCR:ed) from my customer and the only CAT-tool I can open this in is Alchemy Publisher 3.0 (although some of the text is distorted).

When I translate these PDF:s and finally choose Export to original file format (only option, nothing else to choose from), my translated PDF:s get exported to .doc format.

But I opened
... See more

I received five scanned PDF-files (searchabe text, so they have been OCR:ed) from my customer and the only CAT-tool I can open this in is Alchemy Publisher 3.0 (although some of the text is distorted).

When I translate these PDF:s and finally choose Export to original file format (only option, nothing else to choose from), my translated PDF:s get exported to .doc format.

But I opened the files in PDF-format in Alchemy Publisher 3.0. So I wonder why I can't export them as PDF?

Is there any way I can save my finished translations as PDF and not as Word?
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
confused Sep 19, 2011

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I received five scanned PDF-files (searchabe text, so they have been OCR:ed) from my customer

You can save a lot of files as PDF direct from the application (no need to OCR)

Is there any way I can save my finished translations as PDF and not as Word?

?

Just open the DOC and save as PDF...

[Edited at 2011-09-19 13:23 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I save as PDF in Alchemy Publisher 3.0? Sep 19, 2011

The PDF:s really seem to have been OCR:ed, not saved as .doc

You can see on this screencast the perforations to the left on the page so it surely has been scanned: http://screencast.com/t/w1WWLnZhP3a

And then it must have been OCR:ed because the text is searchable.

What I mean with "Is there any way I can save my finished translations as PDF and not as Word?"... See more
The PDF:s really seem to have been OCR:ed, not saved as .doc

You can see on this screencast the perforations to the left on the page so it surely has been scanned: http://screencast.com/t/w1WWLnZhP3a

What I mean with "Is there any way I can save my finished translations as PDF and not as Word?"
is that I want to save the finished translation in Publisher as PDF and not as Word. The only option when choosing Exort or Save is to original file format (which, for some strange reason, is Word) or .ppf (Save As...).

If I export to original file format and get my translation in Word all the formatting is distorted. So I can't create a PDF from Word (with Adobe Professional or similar software) because the formatting will be lost.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
?? Sep 19, 2011

You say you can export as DOC. Right?

Well, export it as DOC, open it in Word and save as PDF.

AFAIK from Word 2003 you can save a file also as PDF (that's the way a send my bills ). Which formatting should be lost? As soon as you save a file as PDF, the format of the original file (can be a lot of extensions) goes banana.

You don't need OCR to save a text file as PDF.

Regards... See more
You say you can export as DOC. Right?

Well, export it as DOC, open it in Word and save as PDF.

AFAIK from Word 2003 you can save a file also as PDF (that's the way a send my bills ). Which formatting should be lost? As soon as you save a file as PDF, the format of the original file (can be a lot of extensions) goes banana.

You don't need OCR to save a text file as PDF.

Regards

[Edited at 2011-09-19 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
image versus text Sep 19, 2011

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

A PDF can be a image and can be also text.

A image must be passed through a OCR application, but a text PDF can be "used" without it.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »