Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2010

I am starting to use this program which I received for free, and after reading the instructions and searching help, it looks like I need to ask the following:

In what cases does the "translate duplicates" icon work? Only if it's a whole line? I've had the same term in a lot of lines, but it doesn't translate them when I do the first one. I clicked on the icon near the beginning of starting a document, and then it went dim and is staying dim.

A while back when I trans
... See more
I am starting to use this program which I received for free, and after reading the instructions and searching help, it looks like I need to ask the following:

In what cases does the "translate duplicates" icon work? Only if it's a whole line? I've had the same term in a lot of lines, but it doesn't translate them when I do the first one. I clicked on the icon near the beginning of starting a document, and then it went dim and is staying dim.

A while back when I translated some documents, it created a supplementary glossary and I was able to manually add to it and use those terms. Now I can't find it. Maybe it's just a matter of where I chose for it to save. Or is it found in the program somewhere?

I created another glossary to use, in an attempt to get around the fact that I could not copy from a target document (MS Word) that I had already translated and paste into the target line in Publisher (to create a bilingual TM for future reference). Is this not possible at all?

I copied the source into a text file and copied and pasted the target translation after each sentence (or after each period or colon), separating them with only a tab. Between "terms" I added a carriage return. It worked for a while, allowing me to "get translation," but then the next group of sentences I added wouldn't show up. I doulbe- and triple- checked my carriage returns and tabs. What am I doing wrong? What is the best way to do this? (After using this glossary for this purpose, I am deleting the extra text and keeping specific terms for the glossary, so it won't remain full of sentences.)

Also, is it possible to modify or delete a line in Publisher? Sometimes the line division doesn't make sense because it stops at periods, so I want to put the whole thing in another line and get rid of the short line that doesn't make sense. Or do I just have to do that after exporting the translation back into Word?

I understand that I can copy an Excel file into a text document, tab delimited, and it should create a glossary for me in Publisher Pro. Right? Anything in particular I need to know? I need to modify my spreadsheet before I do this; that's why I haven't tried it yet.
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 13:42
English
Using Publisher Aug 17, 2010

Hi Molly,

The link below will give you the steps on how to translate duplicates in Publisher. This is from the Publisher 3 help but also applies in Publisher 2.

http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher30/getting_started/basic_steps_for_projects/finding_duplicates_repetitions.htm
... See more
Hi Molly,

The link below will give you the steps on how to translate duplicates in Publisher. This is from the Publisher 3 help but also applies in Publisher 2.

http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher30/getting_started/basic_steps_for_projects/finding_duplicates_repetitions.htm

To find the supplementary glossary you could try to check the path saved under Tools>Options>Glossary. The default path is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Alchemy Software\Publisher 2.0\.

In regards to the Word document. In this case you want to do an alignment if you have the same Word document translated. Please have a look at the link below:
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher30/navigating_the_publisher_interface/file_menu/what_is_translation_alignment_.htm

I think it might be better to use a TM instead of a Glossary(or the Glossary as a TM) if you have full sentences in it:
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/Knowledgewell/alchemy_general_info/the_difference_between_a_tm_and_a_glossary_.htm

You don’t need to modify anything for the excel spreadsheet, this should work OK.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Thanks and regards,
Jette
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duplicates, creating TM (aligning), creating glossary Aug 17, 2010

Jette, Thank you for your kind reply and for telling me to let you know how I’m getting “on” (or maybe “off”?). I did find the supplemental glossary. At least one thing went right!

First of all, I guess I didn’t explain very well. I created a temporary glossary in order to bypass the inability to copy and paste translated text from Word into a TM, without retyping the translation, and it worked up to a point. At that point, I had to ask my question to ProZ, because I
... See more
Jette, Thank you for your kind reply and for telling me to let you know how I’m getting “on” (or maybe “off”?). I did find the supplemental glossary. At least one thing went right!

First of all, I guess I didn’t explain very well. I created a temporary glossary in order to bypass the inability to copy and paste translated text from Word into a TM, without retyping the translation, and it worked up to a point. At that point, I had to ask my question to ProZ, because I needed the info for future reference. (What adjustment did I need to make so it would always work? Sometimes it’s convenient to manually add terms directly to the .txt glossary.) After sending my question, I found a free way to align up to 50 sentences online (Abbyy). It aligned the Word text into a Word table perfectly! I had to do a document in 2 sections, though, and then I combined and saved it all into one table in Word. But I don't know what to do next. No matter what I try, it doesn’t work!

If I just go directly to the "Active TM" tab to add it, the drop-down menu only shows file types .ppf, .txt, etc.--no .doc or .xls. (So how can I just use an Excel glossary just as it is for TM?) So I saved the Word doc as Plain Text. None of the previews (while saving) looked like they would work, and there was no tab-delimited option. I had to choose between variations of CR and LF for line endings, but none of the previews showed the target tabbed after the source. They were either the next line, or directly after the source without even a space. I went ahead and accepted the default CR/LF. At least now the .txt shows up in the “Active TM” browse list, but no matches were found with the document I’m translating. And there are a number of sentences that are exactly the same between the document I’m trying to create/use as a TM and the doc I’m translating. Do I have to go into the Plain Text doc and manually add tabs between the source and target sentences?

All I’m trying to do at this point is set up TM and glossaries to use for future translations.

I also aligned the source doc AGAIN based on the link you gave me. I opened it in Publisher and saved it as a .ppf, and selected the target file to align with it. There was no OK button, so I Opened it. Everything aligned. Yippee! Progress, now surely I can use it as a TM, or so I thought. (This part in parentheses, I’m not sure I’m recounting it exactly as it happened. I’ve tried so many things, but the following is at least sort of how I tried it: I figured I needed to save it since aligning was a change, so I did by overwriting what I had named the source.docx.ppf. It didn’t show up under the “Active TM” browse list, so I figured I didn’t save it right. I went to open it again to try to save it “right.” I wish, when we save things in Publisher, it would show what has already been saved to avoid confusion, like other programs do.) When I tried opening the aligned doc in Publisher again, I got an error message that said it couldn’t open it, and there was some text it couldn’t read. I couldn’t see it well; it was too small and fuzzy. It looked maybe like “”.

I feel frustrated, but I’m not giving up. I’m determined to use this program, because if it works like it’s supposed to, it will be a great help in my work. There are a LOT of repeated sentences, phrases, and terms from document to document that the TM and glossary will help me with. This is the first time I’ve ever tried any CAT software. I truly appreciate your help, especially since I haven’t been able to find the answers I need by any online searches or “Help” in Publisher. Sometimes it gives instructions that are probably just fine, but the part before (to get to the point to follow the directions) or after (to conclude) is missing, and I haven’t been able to figure it out by myself.
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 13:42
English
User Guide Aug 18, 2010

Hi Molly,

Maybe it would be easier if you could send me your excel spreadsheet and the two word documents you want to align and I'll have a look at them. And maybe can write up a user guide for you for future reference?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks and regards,
Jette

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Alchemy Publisher Pro 2.0, creating TM, gloss. Duplicates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »