what's the usefulness of Alchemy Publisher 2.5?
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Nov 9, 2009

Hi all

as a mythical ProZ web-conference's member, I won a copy of Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 but I've not still installed it because I cannot understand its usefulness, and/or if I need it

considering that I already have SDL Trados 2007 freelance + SDLX, and Alchemy Catalyst 8 Translator Pro, can somebody explain to me what advantages, if any, gives me Alchemy PUBLISHER?
i.e. there is any risk to install a copy, or worse a triplet?

Claudio

roster
roster
Poland
Local time: 17:31
English to Polish
Alchemy Publisher Nov 9, 2009

Claudio, I have also won a copy of this program. Besides I have attended an extra webinar (unfortunately net problems did not allow me to hear the whole contents). Anyway, one of the main advantages is apparently editing *.pdf without converting it to *.doc (what I normally do with Trados). It is like you process e.g. *.xls in TagEditor. I have not tried that yet to bve frank but I surely will. Loading the software took so much ti... See more
Claudio, I have also won a copy of this program. Besides I have attended an extra webinar (unfortunately net problems did not allow me to hear the whole contents). Anyway, one of the main advantages is apparently editing *.pdf without converting it to *.doc (what I normally do with Trados). It is like you process e.g. *.xls in TagEditor. I have not tried that yet to bve frank but I surely will. Loading the software took so much time that I believe this must be a good thingCollapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Publisher and pdf files Nov 9, 2009

roster wrote:

Claudio, I have also won a copy of this program. Besides I have attended an extra webinar (unfortunately net problems did not allow me to hear the whole contents). Anyway, one of the main advantages is apparently editing *.pdf without converting it to *.doc (what I normally do with Trados). It is like you process e.g. *.xls in TagEditor. I have not tried that yet to bve frank but I surely will. Loading the software took so much time that I believe this must be a good thing

I have checked the online help file but couldn't find anything related to pdf files. AFAIK, Publisher can be used to translate FrameMaker files (fm) directly, without converting them into mif format. However, translation of pdf files without converting them into doc or txt format is really difficult.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
PDFs and FrameMaker files ... Nov 10, 2009

thanks for the answers!
the first feature would be great, while I've never seen a FrameMaker file in 9 years
but if it doesn't translate PDFs, I think I'll leave this tool in the cellar, for now

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-11-10 11:15 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
PDF question Nov 10, 2009

I hope Jette from Alchemy Support will clarify it.

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 16:31
English
PDF files Nov 10, 2009

Hi All,

I have talked to development and this will be an enhancement feature in Publisher 3.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
enhancement feature in Publisher 3 ... Nov 10, 2009

if I remember well, this feature belonged even to Studio (in theory) and actually doesn't work (rumors)
so I hope Alchemists will be smarter in mixing philtres ...

Claudio

Kevin John Hardisty
Kevin John Hardisty
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Claudio Nov 10, 2009

It's funny you should say that as I would like to ask the same question regarding Trados. Is it any good for translations from technical Italian to English given the lack of technical vocabulary in Italian terms are very vague and open to multiple interpretations.

Kevin

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

what's the usefulness of Alchemy Publisher 2.5?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »