Vista Business + Alchemy Publisher 2, SQLExpress: cannot install onto a compressed/encrypted drive
Thread poster: bodijelen (X)
bodijelen (X)
bodijelen (X)
English to Croatian
Oct 29, 2009

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a solution, please? I installed Alchemy Published 2 under Vista Business following the preinstall instructions for Vista users. However, I cannot complete the installation of SQLExpress. All elements appear validated green but then I get a message telling me that SQLExpress cannot install onto a compressed or encrypted drive.
I checked the hd, the "compress" option is not ticked and the drive, as far as I know, is not encrypted. The only compressed a
... See more
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a solution, please? I installed Alchemy Published 2 under Vista Business following the preinstall instructions for Vista users. However, I cannot complete the installation of SQLExpress. All elements appear validated green but then I get a message telling me that SQLExpress cannot install onto a compressed or encrypted drive.
I checked the hd, the "compress" option is not ticked and the drive, as far as I know, is not encrypted. The only compressed and encrypted folder sits on the data partition which has a different name than the OS partition.

Many thanks for replying.
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 02:54
English
Error with SQL Oct 29, 2009

Hi Bodijelen,

It seems this is an issue with SQL, I have found the following entry

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2009/02/24/sql-server-2005-and-2008-setup-failures-compressed-data-directory.aspx

Thanks and regards,
Jette

bodijelen (X)
bodijelen (X)
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the link + I still need help Oct 29, 2009

Thanks, Jette.

But I am not savvy enough to benefit by the info provided by that link, I'm afraid.

I uninstalled NET.FRamework 3SP1 and tried installing NET.Framework 2. However, upon trying to install from my admin account I receive notification that it is already installed as part of the operating system. Okay, so I go to my user account to try reinstall SQLExpress. I get a notification that NEt.Framework 2 is either missing or corrupt. I notice that MS SQL Server 20
... See more
Thanks, Jette.

But I am not savvy enough to benefit by the info provided by that link, I'm afraid.

I uninstalled NET.FRamework 3SP1 and tried installing NET.Framework 2. However, upon trying to install from my admin account I receive notification that it is already installed as part of the operating system. Okay, so I go to my user account to try reinstall SQLExpress. I get a notification that NEt.Framework 2 is either missing or corrupt. I notice that MS SQL Server 2005 is installed - does this have anything to do with SQLExpress problem?

I'd really appreciate additional assistance.
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 02:54
English
If you already have SQL installed then you do not need another SQL version installed. Oct 30, 2009

If you already have SQL installed then you do not need another SQL version installed. There is a topic on this:
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher20/getting_started/activation_&_installation/what_to_do_if_sql_already_installed.htm

Do you know if you had SQL installed befor
... See more
If you already have SQL installed then you do not need another SQL version installed. There is a topic on this:
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher20/getting_started/activation_&_installation/what_to_do_if_sql_already_installed.htm

Do you know if you had SQL installed before you did any Publisher installations?

SQL Server 2005 is a full version of SQL Server 2005 Express - both are compatible with Publisher 2.5

Some other Translator tools may install SQL with their product - Across is one which comes to mind.

Thanks,
Jette
Collapse

bodijelen (X)
bodijelen (X)
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jette Nov 1, 2009

Problem solved with your assistance.
I did not realise that I did not need to install another instance of SQL.

Thanks again.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Vista Business + Alchemy Publisher 2, SQLExpress: cannot install onto a compressed/encrypted drive

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »