UK Conference 2008
The Translator as Strategic Partner
A conference on the practices and technologies of translation quality sponsored by
ProZ.com, the Chartered Institute of Linguists and the Institute of Translation and Interpreting
22nd-23rd November 2008
The role of the translator has become increasingly uncertain with the advent of globalization and the information age. Pressures to reduce translation costs through process efficiencies and translation technology have impacted on translators' incomes, which have fallen in real terms. In many cases these trends have impacted negatively on translation quality, an effect that the recently-issued European and US translation standards have attempted to redress.
Yet although the world of industry and commerce is increasingly aware that effective cross-cultural communication is crucial for the success of their initiatives, products and brands, many feel the translation industry does not understand their needs or speak their language.
Against this background, exciting new trends are emerging that bridge this gap, propose a strategic role for the translator, new quality metrics and practices, and a new role for translators and translation technology.
The *Translator as Strategic Partner* explores this thinking and does so in practical terms. All the speakers are leading practitioners and adept speakers. There will be practical sessions and extensive scope for discussion and questions from the audience. Several sessions feature translators and translation company owners presenting jointly with their clients on the role of the translator. The venue itself will be laid out to support discussion, relationship building and networking. And attendance is valid for the CIoL and ITI Continuing Professional Development record and ATA Continuing Education record (full 10 points).
Whether you're a translation buyer or translation professional, this is one conference you cannot afford to miss. What's more the price has been kept to a minimum - less than half the cost of similar conferences - to ensure everyone is able to attend.
To request further information or contribute to discussions about this innovative conference, please visit the Conference Forum.
You can also download a comprehensive Conference Guide (6MB), complete with information on the Venue, Networking Events, Hotels and Travel here.
Registration and payment are now open until the morning of Thursday 20th, 2008.
(Before October 12th)
- ProZ.com Members £ 190 - Includes 6 month ProZ.com Professional Membership*
- CIoL and ITI Members £ 190 - Includes 6 month ProZ.com Professional Membership *
- ProZ.com Users £ 200 - Includes 6 month ProZ.com Professional Membership*
(After October 12th)
- ProZ.com Members £ 190 - Includes 3 month ProZ.com Professional Membership*
- CIoL and ITI Members £ 190 - Includes 3 month ProZ.com Professional Membership *
- ProZ.com Users £ 200 - Includes 3 month ProZ.com Professional Membership*
* If you are a member, the 6 months will be added to your current membership.
- Why fidelity to the original is not enough and clients need language professionals to play a more proactive role
- The role of the translator and effective translator/customer working practices
- The future of translation technology
- Extensive discussion and question and answer sessions
- Practical demonstration and workshop sessions
- Diverse networking opportunities and full social schedule
- Exhibition areas with leading companies - Atril, Grant & Cutler, Kilgray, Lexicool, LTC, SDL International and more to be confirmed!
- Valid for the ATA Continuing Education record (full 10 points) and the CIoL and ITI Continuing Professional Development records